Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are NEW boat prices getting out of hand?

riverracerx
    Just pricing a few new things and DAMN!!!! everything is expensive.
    Even my boat, new, the way it sits is over 100K now. That is pure crazy talk.
    And don't even get me started on engine/drive prices from Merc.

Jyruiz
    Yes they are. I see a lot of Nordics, the 25' ones on the Trader (from dealers) and they are asking about 80k with the 496HO.

GunninGopher
    Getting? It's already been Gotten!
    I've been shocked since about 1994 at the prices boats are fetching. I can only hope for a 'Market Correction' if I ever intend to buy new.
    Seems to me back in '92 you could buy an Ultra for about 16k. That was when A DCB and an Eliminator were the same thing, however.
    It's hard to believe that was 14 years ago, now that I think about it.

castone001
    outrageous proces, thats why I chose to rebuild a classic oldy.
    The market prices are always related to what the market will bear, if folks are willing to pay the price than sellers will price it high. Are the boats REALLY worth it, well if you take out all the fluff and break it down, Boats are likle houses and there is a HUGE profit margin.
    but thats just my ill informed pigeon holed view of my world

Ziggy
    outrageous proces, thats why I chose to rebuild a classic oldy.
    The market prices are always related to what the market will bear, if folks are willing to pay the price than sellers will price it high. Are the boats REALLY worth it, well if you take out all the fluff and break it down, Boats are likle houses and there is a HUGE profit margin.
    but thats just my ill informed pigeon holed view of my world
    Exactly what I told my wife just this past weekend. She commented on how expensive the boats have gotten and why? I said because people will pay it, if the economy tanks then prices will drop dramatically.

USCFAN
    Prices to seem to be extremely high. I guess thats what happens when the demand is there. Hopefully the economy remains strong otherwise some builders will be hurting.

Phat Matt
    Prices to seem to be extremely high. I guess thats what happens when the demand is there. Hopefully the economy remains strong otherwise some builders will be hurting.
    Why would they be hurting if the prices are high due to demand? Wouldn't that just mean they are making more profit now? They seeemed to get by when prices were lower right?

Froggystyle
    Why would they be hurting if the prices are high due to demand? Wouldn't that just mean they are making more profit now? They seeemed to get by when prices were lower right?
    Not neccessarily. I see a lot of builders now that are in proper financial situations. Prior to the upward correction many were in pretty bad shape.
    I can tell you one thing... the prices of materials, labor, cost of living, rent, shipping and parts have all gone through the roof from a builders perspective. There is no slack in the prices I am seeing people selling for. Most are selling "base models" for lower than our cost to build. Arguably... they are totally different boats with completely different levels of refinement and rigging, but the facts are the facts, and material and equipment cost is through the roof. Not to mention liability insurance (our single biggest cost other than rent), workmans comp, labor etc...
    There is less margin than you might imagine.

USCFAN
    Well depending on the builder you talk to they say the price of everything to build the boat including labor has gone up. So if you believe this theory then they really are not making more profit. I tend to believe most builders are probably making more profit with the high cost of boats although the cost to make them has risen. I guess they did get by when prices were lower but if any of these builders have raised there operating cost in IE(Bigger building) or other things business are able to do when business is good, once business slows how do you cover these cost? Your business is now relying on a certain amount of money every month to cover its operation.

RiverToysJas
    I think that's why they are all building larger boats...there's more profit in it.
    My boat is 22'8" long, but a how much more really goes into building a 27 or 28' boat with a single engine? 5-6 more feet of glass and wood, and a little more interior. All the spendy stuff - engine, hardware, drive, gauges, all the same, unless you upgrade the engine of course - but you can do that at any length. I thinks there's got to be a lot more profit in the 27-28' single engine boats than in 21-22' boats.
    RTJas

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast