Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are NEW boat prices getting out of hand?

Not So Fast
    Could you imagine the uproar of replacing the engine every single time you took the boat out?
    Very little of the powertrain is reused untouched again in a Cup car. Many of the components are gone through and/or replaced every race. That is if it didn't go against the wall, or another car during the race.
    Too much riding on the outcome.
    I do think the 80k is out there though. But mercruiser stuff is pretty bulletproof isnt it?
    I have always built my own motors
    Brian
    Ive been out of the Porsche market for some time now (Raised three sons) but I believe you can still get a nice 911 (are they still called that) for that price, AND ITS THE WHOLE CAR and pretty good quality at that. You telling me Mercury is that much higher quality, doubt that!! NSF

Dave C
    bingo.. not only are we paying for todays cost of manufacturing the existing product but also future innovations.
    just ask Froggystyle how much it costs to design and build a prototype ..... :rollside:
    those costs have to be allocated somewhere (i.e. existing products)
    I believe that materials for boats are going up. But I believe that alot of the boat manufacturer's are dumping money back into their companies and creating new molds, stronger materials, faster hulls etc. Look at how many companies have come out with a deck boat. Shockwave, Howard. Nordic came out with a cat and now a 40' vee. This cant be cheap. The process of tooling, design and eventually a boat is very expensive. I just think that the top boat manufactueres are reinvesting their money into R&D.

Roxysnow
    Yes they are! Prices are ridiculous!

Beer-30
    Yes they are! Prices are ridiculous!
    Last boat show I was told about $109K for duplicates of ours. I assume you bought yours new, as it's a few years newer than mine. I paid half that (not new).

Jyruiz
    Last boat show I was told about $109K for duplicates of ours. I assume you bought yours new, as it's a few years newer than mine. I paid half that (not new).
    One reason I think I will always buy used.

No Name
    I myself would never buy a new boat again. I have been looking at used boats lately and have seen the same boats for sale for over six months now. These are boats that are two years old with low hours that owners are trying to sell for half of what they paid new. I was looking at a 2004 33’ Eliminator Daytona with twin 525’S. The guy paid almost 300,000.00 before TTL and is asking 159,000.00 OBO. I have looked at the boat and it is mint with 92 hours on it, I would buy it right now but I need to sell mine before I can do so. After buying two new boats in the last five years I can say I will never buy new again.

Dave C
    Merc is a ripoff... nuff said.

Havasu_Dreamin
    A simple example of how boating prices are inflated.
    I was at the LA Boat show looking to upgrade. I was speaking with one of the LHC based builders, had the boat all set up with every option I wanted. Total options/upgrades were in excess of $12k I think; my memory is a little fuzzy. Anyway, the salesman says if I leave him a $500 deposit that day he will throw in the options for FREE! So, if this particular builder can throw in $12k+ of options at no charge how much freaking money you think the builder was making on that boat to begin with?

USCFAN
    A simple example of how boating prices are inflated.
    I was at the LA Boat show looking to upgrade. I was speaking with one of the LHC based builders, had the boat all set up with every option I wanted. Total options/upgrades were in excess of $12k I think; my memory is a little fuzzy. Anyway, the salesman says if I leave him a $500 deposit that day he will throw in the options for FREE! So, if this particular builder can throw in $12k+ of options at no charge how much freaking money you think the builder was making on that boat to begin with?
    I would imagine a significant profit.. I am sure of one thing that everyone here can agree with because we know that there are not many. The word boat and the word free do not go together. Nothing is free when it comes to a boat.

Havasu_Dreamin
    I would imagine a significant profit.. I am sure of one thing that everyone here can agree with because we know that there are not many. The word boat and the word free do not go together. Nothing is free when it comes to a boat.
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast