Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Are NEW boat prices getting out of hand?

USCFAN
    All that means is that you had cut a deal that was $12K more than he would have cut if you had kept beating on him.
    $12K in options is about 6K in cost BTW... The retail vs. wholesale markup on stuff like trailer options, audio systems, swimsteps, aqua ladders, bimini tops etc... is nearly 50% in most cases.
    If you ever get more for your used car trade-in than you can sell it for... you are paying that much more for your new car. Money does not come from nowhere... and if you can't sell it for more... neither can they. Any time you get a great deal on a trade... you are likely taking a bath on either financing or the price of your new vehicle. Do the math.
    Well said.........................

Not So Fast
    I myself would never buy a new boat again. I have been looking at used boats lately and have seen the same boats for sale for over six months now. These are boats that are two years old with low hours that owners are trying to sell for half of what they paid new. I was looking at a 2004 33’ Eliminator Daytona with twin 525’S. The guy paid almost 300,000.00 before TTL and is asking 159,000.00 OBO. I have looked at the boat and it is mint with 92 hours on it, I would buy it right now but I need to sell mine before I can do so. After buying two new boats in the last five years I can say I will never buy new again.
    I dont know about lower prices for used, at least in the deckboat market. When I bought mine in July 2004, I had been looking seriously for a used Conquest or Magic (thats all there was to choose from at that time) and I could not find one anywhere. Its a different story now with quite a few to chose from but I really think I could get close to what mine cost, minus the tax of course if I wanted to sell it, mainly because prices have increased and Deckboats seem to be holding thie value very well. Answer to question, YES BOATS COST TOO MUCH. NSF

MagicMtnDan
    Salaries haven't gone up enough to support the growth in high-dollar auto, truck and boat sales. What is enabling these purchases is the jump in home prices and the subsequent rise in home equity loans.
    With the increase in gasoline prices driving inflation, raw materials costs have been going up. Now that the real estate market is cooling off I expect that consumer purchasing power will soften meaning high-dollar boat sales will soften too.

Biglue
    Salaries haven't gone up enough to support the growth in high-dollar auto, truck and boat sales. What is enabling these purchases is the jump in home prices and the subsequent rise in home equity loans.
    With the increase in gasoline prices driving inflation, raw materials costs have been going up. Now that the real estate market is cooling off I expect that consumer purchasing power will soften meaning high-dollar boat sales will soften too.
    Is this when you plan on buying a boat? :idea:

Not So Fast
    Read,,,I DO think Merc stuff is out there, 80k??
    Brian
    gotcha, sorry. My point is that you can go buy a comparable Teague package and save bou-coup bucks and that is quality!! and its also high priced but better priced than Mercury. I know about R&D but come on, its still a motor and drive, $83,000 :idea: NSF

RiverDave
    When Magic's Deckboat 1st came out (not that long ago 3 - 4 years?) They were offering some of the 1st ones to get them out there at less than 60K with an HO!! (56K if memory serves correctly) Then the price crept up to 70K a month afterwards, and shortly after that it jumped up to 100'ish K...
    Your telling me Merc raised there prices by 30K in 4 years?
    Well no they didn't, so now it becomes a supply and demand issue..
    For awhile there you had to wait in line to buy one of those deck boats (didn't matter who made it, conquest magic etc..) so that drove the prices through the roof. Now the builders will build a boat and build it for showroom stock. It don't matter their still going to get 100K for it, regardless if the supply is outweighing demand. Sit on it for a few weeks and make 30K? Why not.. No point in discounting it if there's still a demand.
    Now that the interest rates have come up though, I'd be willing to wager you see the price of boats atleast level off, and in some (most) cases they will take a decline for mfg's to stay alive. Nobody is buying boats right now. Or to phrase that better, not as many people are buying high dollar ticket items right now.
    Used to be that you would see a "Pulled the Trigger" thread on here almost every other day awhile ago. when's the last time you've seen one? Maybe once every two to three weeks?
    RD

Kilrtoy
    gotcha, sorry. My point is that you can go buy a comparable Teague package and save bou-coup bucks and that is quality!! and its also high priced but better priced than Mercury. I know about R&D but come on, its still a motor and drive, $83,000 :idea: NSF
    teague 700 with drive is 52K
    Corrected

RiverDave
    teague 700 with drive is 53K
    And it's still a Bravo Based Drive.. That new Merc Drive looks bad ass, how it will hold up only time will tell, but it sure seems to be based more off a # 6 then a Bravo just by the aesthetics of it.
    I haven't seen a cut away of it yet so I dunno. I know it uses a Tranny so it has gotta be way stronger then a bravo.
    Between those 2 price tags all of a sudden the Merc package doesn't seem so unreasonable to me. In reality though, Teagues is over priced too (IMO) Good brand name though so they can command the respect and the $$$ that goes with it.
    RD

Kilrtoy
    I forgot the 5K for the stand off box, so it is 57K

jbtrailerjim
    Now that the interest rates have come up though, I'd be willing to wager you see the price of boats atleast level off, and in some (most) cases they will take a decline for mfg's to stay alive. Nobody is buying boats right now. Or to phrase that better, not as many people are buying high dollar ticket items right now.
    Used to be that you would see a "Pulled the Trigger" thread on here almost every other day awhile ago. when's the last time you've seen one? Maybe once every two to three weeks?
    RD
    I think you are right about boat sales slowing. I've got a good friend in the boat industry. He told me the other day that boat sales have slowed wayyyyy down and some of the custom builders are a little concerned.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast