Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avgas

bruddah
    i have a h0ok up on it and can get quite a bit for free. i run this in my dune buggy in the winter and in all the dirtbikes. how will this affect my boat. it has a bbc that is stock and i am planning on running 5050 with 91. any input is appreciated thanks guys. run cleaner, hotter, not good?

poncho-pwr
    What compression ratio is your motor? An engine only needs as much octane as it needs, meaning that if you start putting 110 octane race gas in your 8.5:1 compression motor it isn't going to run any better than it will on pump gas so you are just wasting the good gas. Also need to find out what kind of av-gas you would be getting as there are many different flavors and not all of them will mix well with pump gas.

SmokinLowriderSS
    What compression ratio is your motor? An engine only needs as much octane as it needs, meaning that if you start putting 110 octane race gas in your 8.5:1 compression motor it isn't going to run any better than it will on pump gas so you are just wasting the good gas. Also need to find out what kind of av-gas you would be getting as there are many different flavors and not all of them will mix well with pump gas.
    Yep, pretty much has it there. I was unaware of mix troubles, but I haven't tried or checked on it to find out that.
    If you're running an 8.5:1 engine, you don't need much over about 87 or 89. Anything higher is wasted $$$$ and actually likely a few rteduced ponnies from reduced burn rate from the higher octane (resistance to uncontrolled ignition).

bruddah
    well ive mixed it before in other toys and never had a problem and i am getting it for FREE so there wont be any wasted money. if lose a few ponies no biggie dont plan on going too fast anyway this weekend since i will be most likely pushed of the lake in havi. thanks for the info guys!

Wicked Performance Boats
    What other av-gas is there? Our airports only have one 100LL. BL

poncho-pwr
    There are airports that have other grades of av-gas. Some of them have some much higher octane stuff that they run in the nostalgia WWII planes with hi-comp supercharger deals. Maybe one of the pilots here on the boards could better fill us in on the other fuels. I know there is an airport near South Padre island and Corpus Christi Tx that has the higher octane stuff and I think it is called 115/145. They also had 100/130 but I think it may have been replaced by 100LL.

olbiezer
    if its not a high compression motor just run the 91 its still cheeeper then 100LL av gas dont u guys have 93 out there? if it knocks use some octaine boost...o am not a fear head but i understand that airplane engines are low compression so its really what runs well for your engine

DK18
    i have a h0ok up on it and can get quite a bit for free. i run this in my dune buggy in the winter and in all the dirtbikes. how will this affect my boat. it has a bbc that is stock and i am planning on running 5050 with 91. any input is appreciated thanks guys. run cleaner, hotter, not good?
    Not sure your entire set up but If you do run it. Mix Marvel or some kind of lubricant into the fuel. If not it can be hard on parts especialy holly fuel pumps. 2 stroke jet ski oil works great..

78CoLe
    av gas does not hava a spec. gravity so there for your jetting never good usualy leans the motor out and motor proforms bad at top end and acc. ask most motor builders the say its the worst to run in any motor besides air planes than can tune their jetting my .02 see at the lake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast