Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm Start Trouble....

Baja 2-72
    I have a 1994 Baja 272 with a 454 Magnum and a Carter/Weber carb. I have a problem with warm starts. I have to give full trottle to get it to start. Cold starts are great and hot starts are fine. It only happens when I been floating for an hour or two after a cruise. The electric choke seems to be working ok. The idle mixture screws didn't seem to adjust easily....what I mean is it wasent real obvious where the too lean or too rich points were, so I took my best guess and then set them in the midle of the rich/lean points....Seems like some kind of vapor lock....Any other ideas?

SWW
    Sounds like it time to rebuild the carb what could be happening is the fuel is leaking down in to the intake when your sitting that would explain why you have start the engine at full throttle its like the motor is flooded with fuel ? over longer time fuel evaporates then theres no problem its some thing to look at you might look down the carb with the motor OFF and maybe you can see fuel dripping after motors is warm
    SWW

Baja 2-72
    Originally posted by SWW:
    Sounds like it time to rebuild the carb what could be happening is the fuel is leaking down in to the intake when your sitting that would explain why you have start the engine at full throttle its like the motor is flooded with fuel ? over longer time fuel evaporates then theres no problem its some thing to look at you might look down the carb with the motor OFF and maybe you can see fuel dripping after motors is warm
    SWW
    Thanks for the suggestion...It looks like your spelling is correct to me....I'm not trying to second guess you...just trying to get all the suggestions I can...

SWW
    I find this forum great its been really helpfull for me .And was only trying be a litte jokester on the other post Hope you get the problem solved. at least your post is staying on the top of the page LOL
    Walt

Baja 2-72
    i new you were just joking.....now can you come over hand help me do the re-build?
    What does LOL mean?

Hotcrusader76
    Yupp! Sounds like it's time for an overhaul... Hahaa
    Give me a ring and I'll see what I can do for ya.
    Thanks
    Ty Lofstrom tdlofstrom@tpcracing.com
    www.tpcracing.com (http://www.tpcracing.com)

waterndog
    This is the same problem I've been having, would this also cause you loadup when idling?

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    LOL = Laugh Out Loud
    Also if you have to rebuild the carbeurator it won't be that hard as long as you have a decent work bench, some decent tools, and a little mechanical know how and patience. I rebuilt mine using the Sealoc brand of service manual which gives an in depth guide to rebuilding this carb (webber 4 barrel, aka federal mogul, aka edelbrock also makes this same carb).
    I bolted the carb down to my work bench to make it easier to work on and then I purchased a rebuild kit for this carb which is super easy to find.
    go to this site and have your engine serial number handy.
    http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/P...e/homepage.asp
    They have the rebuild kits for all merc engines. Anyhow I think you can probably get the same kit from NAPA auto parts or another automotive store. I'm just not sure if there is any difference in the rebuild kits themselves between automotive and marine. Probably the same stuff just put a marine sticker on it and jack up the price.
    The only part that really kind of scared me was the actual carburator tuning. I rather just let my friend who is more experience adjust the carb to flow perfectly.
    good luck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Baja 2-72
    NO...just the warm start issue...I think SWW's theory sounds good. This weekend, after I throw the anchor, I am going to open up the throttle and let it sit "vented". Possibly this will allow the fuel to evaporate....Still going to have to do the rebuild.....
    Thanks for everyones input...

Baja 2-72
    Originally posted by Tahiti Day Cruiser:
    LOL = Laugh Out Loud
    Also if you have to rebuild the carbeurator it won't be that hard as long as you have a decent work bench, some decent tools, and a little mechanical know how and patience. I rebuilt mine using the Sealoc brand of service manual which gives an in depth guide to rebuilding this carb (webber 4 barrel, aka federal mogul, aka edelbrock also makes this same carb).
    I bolted the carb down to my work bench to make it easier to work on and then I purchased a rebuild kit for this carb which is super easy to find.
    go to this site and have your engine serial number handy.
    http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/P...e/homepage.asp
    They have the rebuild kits for all merc engines. Anyhow I think you can probably get the same kit from NAPA auto parts or another automotive store. I'm just not sure if there is any difference in the rebuild kits themselves between automotive and marine. Probably the same stuff just put a marine sticker on it and jack up the price.
    The only part that really kind of scared me was the actual carburator tuning. I rather just let my friend who is more experience adjust the carb to flow perfectly.
    good luck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    I've seen the Merc parts web site...but never ordered off of it. If you can...check out the Mercury Web site from work...you ever hit that page over a dial-up link...it will take forever to load...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast