Thread: how much oil should i be burning

dallas
    i have a n new 500 hp i have 46 hours on it. in the last 17 or so hours i have went through 3 quarts of oil. the boat seems to run ok, but it seems like alot of oil? i called one marina and they told me to just watch it. and put some more hours on it. and see what happens. is this what you would do?

BoatFloating
    Dallas, that is way to much to be burning. I would take it to a Merc auth mech. I've heard of a 500hp burning a qt a trip. He took it in and they ended up replacing the motor. Rings never seated right. This why Merc came out with a service letter telling people how to break it in, along with the 496 HO and Mag. I would get it in asap and get it looked at. That oil use alone will kill your pocket book. This not at all normal. The place that told you to keep a eye on it, don't take it there. Thank god you have a warranty. Here is Merc's number 405-743-6566. Tell them what is going on and they will send you in the right direction
    BF......

Blown Sleek
    So what do I do with my Blosdale Motor? I burned about 4 quarts in about the same time not ever opening it up!

Skaterfast
    Last time I checked all of my oil gets burned.Only because my motors do not have springs.

XTRM22
    Originally posted by Skaterfast:
    Last time I checked all of my oil gets burned.Only because my motors do not have springs.
    Nothing personal Mike, BUTTHEAD!
    I don't burn any oil, but I leak about half a quart every 10 hrs because I used the wrong valve cover gaskets. (woah, and I called Mike a ButtHead) LOL
    Chuck

baja25sst
    Have a 2002Baja25SST Outlaw w/496magho. Brand new boat lost motor with 9 hrs on it!! Mercruiser replaced immediately (metal shavings found in oil filter and under valve covers but Mercruiser did not want dealer to go any further and replaced entire longblock). I too burn oil-seems like 1/4-1/2 quarter each time I take it out. I have 10-15 hrs on new motor (actually hours on motor are on pc chip and hour meter runs every time the damn battery is on). I will run some more but if it continues, I will be contacting my dealer too and Mercruiser as I too think this is too damn much). I was told they set it up to run real rich for the first 20 hrs or so and then it leans out! We will see!!! Good luck to you. My local dealer was not even a Baja dealer but a Fountain and Formula and they and Mercruiser "hooked me up" and treated me right!!!! No questions asked!!!

baja25sst
    I just called Mercruiser about my brand new 496magho after seeing these articles and having oil consumption "issues". I was told 1 qt every 1-5 hrs at cruising speed or higher would be average for this motor and that black soot on transom should go away after my 20-30 hr break-in. Mercruiser was GREAT!!!!. They documented my information against my serial number and told me to call them at the 20 hr checkup. I drove 2-3 hrs in 4-6ft seas with 95 gallons of fuel and 6 people and 3 big dang beer coolers (could barely get up on plane in rough seas), and burnt 1/2 qt....not too bad in my opinion seeing as though I had to dog the engine in those seas!!! Dean
    p.s. so, with their theory, 17 hrs =3 qts or so.......
    p.s.s. look at the bright side (if there is one). Your oil should not be dirty when you do a full tune-up...HAHAHA

OOfatso
    Hey Guy's,
    I kind of started freaking myself out when it appeared that my 500HP EFI, was loosing a lot of oil but when I questioned a few mercrusier guys, they stated that the 500's will burn quart of oil every 1 to 5 hours! depending on how hard you run the motor and for how long! I just want eveyone to know that I, personally, do not run my 500 over 3200 RPM !!!........ Ya Right, believe me when I tell ya that I keep a couple Extra Quarts of oil in my Boat at all times! Just like this weekend I went down to Havasu, did a bunch of tubing and Wakeboarding and then shot back up River ( At 3200 RPM Of Course!)and I went through about 1 1/2 quarts of oil. My motor has been compression checked and it is still good after 210 running Hours! Now watch, I will go out this weekend and BREAK! *&*%$#&#&^%(*&%*&$&