Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HTM Crash

Doug The Jeweler
    Today I was talking to a friend that was very knowlegable about the crash and shared some facts about the crash.Normally they would have run the boat away from the dam but the wind was going the wrong way so they switched.All the people in the boat had to stand up as there was no interior in the boat.At 80 miles per hour there should be at least 1 person survive the crash so he thought the 80 mph estimate was very low as the estimate came from spectators from the shore.He thought that because the boat had sunk so close to the dam that they were trying to get every last mph top speed and misjugded how close they were to the dam.They ran out of drag strip.I've been headed twards a dam and I just missed it head on.I was only going 80 mph in a 19 foot tunnel.It scared the shi* out of me.All I can say about the crash is ouch!!!

RiverDave2
    Doug, the WindBlows Across the side of Castaic.. That day it might have been backwards but either way it would be coming from the side wouldn't it? When they showed the footage on the news it didn't look like it was that close to the dam either, it looked like it happened what would normally be at the end of Speed Alley (Heading away from the dam).
    RD

MrHavasuCat
    Wow, standing up in a cat at those speeds would be a scary thing.

RiverDave2
    Imagine doin it at 150.
    RD

MrHavasuCat
    I can't.

RiverDave2
    I can't either..
    RD

BlownChevy
    I went to Castaic the sunday after the crash and the fishing leg was closed... the east side of the lake, and it seemed like the were heading away from te dam... when i take my friends speed bot out that is the best place for speed because it is alot calmer over there... i guess when the were testing the boat they thought the same thing...too bad RIP

sleepster
    Let me tell you guy's it is scary harry going at those speeds, the fastest i went was D.C.B 22 twin 2.5 drags around 115 couldent really see the speedo, but when we came to a stop i could and its not fun, you start thinking about alot of things, i have done a few rides like that, the scary ones are when some one says, hey want to go for a ride? and you gust gump in a boat really not knowing the driver, or the boat, always use safty first, life line vest, bell helmet. you never know?

DMB
    I've heard the same thing no interior, one seat driver side. Also heard that one motor and drive are out of the boat.
    Running out of lake! could be, but steve had alot of seat time running very high speeds.
    [This message has been edited by DMB (edited January 17, 2002).]

RiverDave2
    I'm not buyin the theory that they were running out of lake and took some sort of evasive action.. I also don't think they were doing any real high speed runs that day.. Maybe 90mph at the most. There was up to 30mph winds out that day, when I talked to Mr.Pumps on the phone I could hardly hear a word he was saying becuse it was so windy. I think they were just going out to play on the lake for a few hours, and a "freak" accident, or a combination of things happened to make it go wrongside up. I don't believe that we will ever be able to attribute it to one thing. It will be similar to an airplane crash, where one thing led to another, to another, to another etc.. etc.. and then it went over. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif
    RD

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast