Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: HTM Crash

Doug The Jeweler
    How deep is Castaic.240 feet is very deep.It is about that deep at Lake Berryessa at the dam in Northern California.I scuba dive and having to take 70 minutes to come up must be boring.The divers must be using Nitrox.What force it must of taken to rip a motor out of the boat.It had 1000 HP and it stayed in the boat.Is there any wonder there was no survivors left.RIP
    [This message has been edited by Doug The Jeweler (edited January 17, 2002).]

DMB
    Know what,no one really knows right now just a bunch of speculation,anything could have happend.
    But I tell you this, if I had to get in an HTM and do 150 MPH or even 125+ I would put my life in steves hands.

Chestah Cheetah
    Originally posted by RiverDave2:
    I'm not buyin the theory that they were running out of lake and took some sort of evasive action..
    I agree! Steve of all people knew that lake and it's distance limits.

***boat
    Originally posted by DMB:
    Know what,no one really knows right now just a bunch of speculation,anything could have happend.
    It occured to me that if the GPS they were using is recovered and could be made to work again, their max. speed may finally come to light and (if it has a "tracks" feature like my Garmin eTrex) their entire course on the lake might have been plotted. It's as close as it comes to having a "Black Box" as found on airliners.
    At any rate, I agree that only time will tell.

DMB
    I had that very thought the other day.

Bill in Las Vegas
    [I am a proud owner of an SR24 and am also horrified by what has happened. My family was fortunate to have met such a strong willed man as steve and he will never be forgotten. Last summer my son Tommy was the regatta prince and we had a blast.Just before the regatta steve had a similar incident that he told me about were he worned me to always check my belts and to always wear the safety cutoff switch. He had very bad bruising to his right side becouse the power steering belt broke and he lost steering which he said threw him into a immediate left turn slamming him into the right side of his boat at the throttle and steering wheel.Gentlemen we have unanswered questions here but from my experiences with steve his risk factor was always with safety in mind and he would not sacrifice his love for family for a few more mph. Our boating family will miss him
    [This message has been edited by Doug The Jeweler (edited January 17, 2002).][/B][/QUOTE]

superdave013
    The area by the Dam is the deepest part of the lake. It's way way deeper than 300'. I would think they were not close to the dam.

HUFFPOWER
    just an update,was informed by a very good source that the divers found both motor/drives,1 was about 10-15 from boat,the other was further back,transom not intact,divers aslo found a hole in one side,still no luck in finding the others,hope that they find them soon for the families.

RiverDave2
    A whole in one side?
    Oh my god... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif
    RD

step up
    Hello i'm a htm owner .The boat was no where near the dam.They were either coming from the narrows or going towards the narrows.The boat is bouied off right now you can see the bouie from the ramp.Ken Lane's funerial was Thursday ,I spoke with his wife on Wednesday she was so pleased to hear about the memorial fund.Ken had alot of great friends.
    see ya

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast