Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone tow with a Rhino?

Froggystyle
    Now that we have the Toterhome (we call it a Boaterhome... ) we are using it nearly every weekend. Even though we have a totally trick, street legal golf cart (Thanks Nubbs!) we are looking to do even more with our support vehicle.
    Like for example... launch and recover the boat with the thing. Obviously, the golf cart isn't going to do the trick, but we see people launching with Rhinos and Rangers a lot. Mostly 21' boats and under though.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about the 10 lane at Pleasant or the bigger ramps around the area, but I am talking about the ones at the river at Windsor, Parker and Martinez.
    See, thing is that the Boaterhome is nearly 65' long with the boat on the back. Total bitch to back into tight launch ramps. Additionally, you need to break down your house to put it in in the morning. Which means that 6 hungover people get to wake up at 6:00 with you to go beat the crowds with the launch... people get very, very pissed about the jocko-bozo drill on the ramp with one guy in the cart guiding you by radio and a blind back-up etc... So, we do it early.
    Long story short, I am looking preferably at a Rhino. They look the coolest and will easily fit in the boho. Plus, obviously the parts are available. I have no problem putting some money into the engine if torque can be added and is needed to pull it out of the water. I am also looking at the John Deere "Gator" with a diesel engine, the Polaris Ranger and others.
    There is also a "hauler" version of the Rhino available in the catalog. Anyone know if this has lower gears or more power or something?
    I don't go duning, I will lightly off-road the thing. Mostly, we are going out to dinner in it, getting ice and going to an from launch ramps.
    Any ideas?

Mandelon
    I think it would work. The Trident is big, but light.
    Plus I will volunteer to drive your golf cart around almost every weekend thus generating all that name recognition.
    Did you see the Magic boat ad in Powerboats last month? Page 54 or 56 maybe. Same colors as yours.......but the graphics are different.

77charger
    Might want to look inot the polaris ranger 6x6 it has almost 2k towing capacity and 6 wheel drive.We use one for launching my race boat even though it is only a 18 ft flatbottom but it can handle the weight better than the rhino its also wider making it very stable.
    I think the rhino is rated for around 1k towing.I see rhinos launching race boats with ease too but for a boat yuor size might want bigger.Braking(as in stopping) should be a factor too

Trailer Park Casanova
    At Emerald Cove they have a sign asking not to tow with golfcarts, but nothing about Rhinos. Not to ever be negative, but things could get carried away real quick in the river current if the wind puts the boat in irons.
    I prefer a heavy launch vech. Echo Lodge store is covered with pix of tow vech's being swept away with the boat still on the trailer.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...06_015-med.jpg

MrsSigEpMock
    Rhino might be a stretch.....I towed our 16' flatbed with it and the Rhino didn't like it....not so much the pulling weight just the tounge weight really squatted it. I think you'd be overloading the Rhino. Might have to look at the Polaris Ranger.....it's built more for towing, better check the tow rating....if that doesn't work I know the bigger Kawi Mules will work. We bought 5 of them when we built the prisons in Victorville and towed everything from generator/welders to compressors, even towed out the water truck a few times. They did great but only have a 35 mph top speed and no where near the suspension of the Ranger or the Rhino...definately more of a tractor than buggy.
    or for the money you could build a pretty nice Jeep.....
    Just my $.02,
    Chris

sigepmock
    Rhino might be a stretch.....I towed our 16' flatbed with it and the Rhino didn't like it....not so much the pulling weight just the tounge weight really squatted it. I think you'd be overloading the Rhino. Might have to look at the Polaris Ranger.....it's built more for towing, better check the tow rating....if that doesn't work I know the bigger Kawi Mules will work. We bought 5 of them when we built the prisons in Victorville and towed everything from generator/welders to compressors, even towed out the water truck a few times. They did great but only have a 35 mph top speed and no where near the suspension of the Ranger or the Rhino...definately more of a tractor than buggy.
    or for the money you could build a pretty nice Jeep.....
    Just my $.02,
    Chris
    Damn it I hate when I log on as her :argue:

Phat Matt
    I think you would be better off with a Jeep.

KACHINA KEN
    Now that we have the Toterhome (we call it a Boaterhome... ) we are using it nearly every weekend. Even though we have a totally trick, street legal golf cart (Thanks Nubbs!) we are looking to do even more with our support vehicle.
    Like for example... launch and recover the boat with the thing. Obviously, the golf cart isn't going to do the trick, but we see people launching with Rhinos and Rangers a lot. Mostly 21' boats and under though.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about the 10 lane at Pleasant or the bigger ramps around the area, but I am talking about the ones at the river at Windsor, Parker and Martinez.
    See, thing is that the Boaterhome is nearly 65' long with the boat on the back. Total bitch to back into tight launch ramps. Additionally, you need to break down your house to put it in in the morning. Which means that 6 hungover people get to wake up at 6:00 with you to go beat the crowds with the launch... people get very, very pissed about the jocko-bozo drill on the ramp with one guy in the cart guiding you by radio and a blind back-up etc... So, we do it early.
    Long story short, I am looking preferably at a Rhino. They look the coolest and will easily fit in the boho. Plus, obviously the parts are available. I have no problem putting some money into the engine if torque can be added and is needed to pull it out of the water. I am also looking at the John Deere "Gator" with a diesel engine, the Polaris Ranger and others.
    There is also a "hauler" version of the Rhino available in the catalog. Anyone know if this has lower gears or more power or something?
    I don't go duning, I will lightly off-road the thing. Mostly, we are going out to dinner in it, getting ice and going to an from launch ramps.
    Any ideas?
    How about instead you use your charming personality and liase with HB peeps in each area to bring a truck and put you in your Frog-ness??? Don't be proud, ask mutha!

Froggystyle
    I think you would be better off with a Jeep.
    Won't fit in the moho. I would love to get a Jeep into the equation, or cheap truck or whatever... but it can't be more than 10 feet long at it's longest, and has to weigh under the 1600 pound capacity of the lift gate.
    So, it has to meet those requirements, and the Polaris is a little big on all counts. Plus, I understand that you can put superchargers and turbochargers on the Rhino's now, which would likely be the first mod.

Phat Matt
    Won't fit in the moho. I would love to get a Jeep into the equation, or cheap truck or whatever... but it can't be more than 10 feet long at it's longest, and has to weigh under the 1600 pound capacity of the lift gate.
    So, it has to meet those requirements, and the Polaris is a little big on all counts. Plus, I understand that you can put superchargers and turbochargers on the Rhino's now, which would likely be the first mod.
    Gotcha. Have it done by Labor Day and then launch at site 6.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast