Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tow with a Rhino?

XFactor
    Look for a Suzuki Samuri. I've seen guys pull some big boats with these. They strip'em down, re-gear the diff and away they go. Should be under 1800lbs striped. Not sure on the length.
    Check the tounge weight on some of these 20-21 ft boats that people pull with Rhinos. Is it the same as yours? I saw a Rhino with a small boat (approx 18ft) and 4 people in the Rhino. It had a serious squat.

LOWRIVER2
    I've launched/loaded a 24ft. Pontoon with a Rhino at River Shores. It does the job but I think it would be under weight pulling your boat out in a current. I'd have to agree with TPC on that one.

BADBLOWN572
    We have used our Rhino to launch some smaller boats and wave runners. Even with an 18' STV behind it, you could smell the clutches cooking as you are pulling it out. I think that you would be fine towing on flat ground, but if you ever have the boat fall off the end of the ramp or are on a steep ramp, forget it!!!

sigepmock
    Won't fit in the moho. I would love to get a Jeep into the equation, or cheap truck or whatever... but it can't be more than 10 feet long at it's longest, and has to weigh under the 1600 pound capacity of the lift gate.
    So, it has to meet those requirements, and the Polaris is a little big on all counts. Plus, I understand that you can put superchargers and turbochargers on the Rhino's now, which would likely be the first mod.
    Power isn't the issue, it's the toungue weight and the Constant Velocity Transmition. Snowmobile style clutch with rubber belts. The clutches just aren't set-up to pull that much weight and you will burn them up. Also with the coil-over suspension in the rear it's only set-up for it's own weight. You could change the spring rates to handle the weight but then it would ride like crap when empty.
    It's really as simple as the fact that they were never made to tow that much weight. I'm sure there are ways to make it work but it wouldn't be a Rhino by the time you got done with it.
    Check out the Kawi Mule 3010 Diesel :crossx:
    http://www.kawasaki.com/product_deta...64&tag=utility
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, three-cylinder, overhead valve diesel
    Displacement: 953cc
    Bore x stroke: 72 x 78mm
    Compression ratio: 24.8:1
    Carburetion: N/A
    Air filter: Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
    Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
    Ignition: Compression with glow plugs for starting
    Electrical: 12V DC, 52 amp-hour battery, 40 amp alternator
    Transmission: Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with high and low range, forward, neutral and reverse
    Final drive: Shaft, selectable four-wheel drive with dual-mode rear differential
    Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
    Tires: 23x11-10 tubeless
    Front suspension / wheel travel: Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
    Rear suspension / wheel travel: Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
    Steering: Rack and pinion
    Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
    Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
    Dry weight: 1,505 lbs.
    Overall length: 112.6 in.
    Overall width: 57.5 in.
    Overall height: 76.0 in.
    Wheelbase: 73.6 in.
    Ground clearance: 6.9 in.
    Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
    Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 in. / 15.6 cu. ft.
    Load capacity: 1,632 lbs.
    Cargo bed capacity: 1,100 lbs.
    Towing capacity: 1,200 lbs.
    Turning radius: 11.2 ft.
    Top speed: 25 mph, governed
    Instruments: Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/brakelight, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight, speedometer
    Color choices: Woodsman Green or Aztec Red
    MSRP: $9,999

79Challenger
    We have a polaris ranger. The thing is great. Launched and recovered all we tried. Although the largest was a 26 Chapparal, it seemed like it would of done alot more.

Froggystyle
    We have a polaris ranger. The thing is great. Launched and recovered all we tried. Although the largest was a 26 Chapparal, it seemed like it would of done alot more.
    Where did you launch at? That Chapparal weighs thousands more than the Revolution...
    This is good news.
    BTW, the specs on that Mule put it with the same towing capacity as the Rhino... 1200 pounds. So does the Ranger, and the Gator etc...
    Any type of reduced gears you can get for the Rhinos yet?

sigepmock
    Where did you launch at? That Chapparal weighs thousands more than the Revolution...
    This is good news.
    BTW, the specs on that Mule put it with the same towing capacity as the Rhino... 1200 pounds. So does the Ranger, and the Gator etc...
    I know the specs are the same for both the Rhino and Mule but in reality the Mule is the tractor of the side by sides. We towed a lot more than 1200 lbs with the mules for more than 3 years with out any problems. The mule can also handle a lot more tounge weight, it's a solid rear axle not indy like the Rhino. When I was working for a contractor building $100 million dollar projects we tried every golf cart, Mule, Gator, Ranger, cheap jeep out there and we had the best success with the Mules....so much in fact that the company set up a deal with Kawi to by direct. The mules were more useful and could go more places. They were also cheaper to maintain than the 3/4ton company trucks.
    Sounds like you made your mind up on a Rhino so......
    You can get modified sheaves for the Rhino for low end power, the mud running guys are using them to turn big tires.
    Then you'r going to need to get a set of custom rear coil-overs with a really high spring rate, talk to Evo22, he can set you up. Also look at getting some stronger rear avles like those that come with the long travle kits.
    If I were set on a Rhino and wanted to pull the boat, and was willing to throw out the risk of the boat pulling the Rhino into the lake :crossx: , I'd get a long travel kit all pimped out and then have a trick set of air bags added to the rear the handle the extra weight from the trailer. But that's just me....
    Chris

Cole Trickle
    I know the specs are the same for both the Rhino and Mule but in reality the Mule is the tractor of the side by sides. We towed a lot more than 1200 lbs with the mules for more than 3 years with out any problems. The mule can also handle a lot more tounge weight, it's a solid rear axle not indy like the Rhino. When I was working for a contractor building $100 million dollar projects we tried every golf cart, Mule, Gator, Ranger, cheap jeep out there and we had the best success with the Mules....so much in fact that the company set up a deal with Kawi to by direct. The mules were more useful and could go more places. They were also cheaper to maintain than the 3/4ton company trucks.
    Sounds like you made your mind up on a Rhino so......
    You can get modified sheaves for the Rhino for low end power, the mud running guys are using them to turn big tires.
    Then you'r going to need to get a set of custom rear coil-overs with a really high spring rate, talk to Evo22, he can set you up. Also look at getting some stronger rear avles like those that come with the long travle kits.
    If I were set on a Rhino and wanted to pull the boat, and was willing to throw out the risk of the boat pulling the Rhino into the lake :crossx: , I'd get a long travel kit all pimped out and then have a trick set of air bags added to the rear the handle the extra weight from the trailer. But that's just me....
    Chris
    Does Black Rhino sell a Pontoon add on kit for the Rhino yet? (A.K.A. the Hippo)
    The Rhino does alot of things well but I don't think I would tackel a steep slippery ramp with anything that weighs over 1500lbs unless you want to go for a swim. :rollside:
    <----- starting a new company Pink Hippo Performance.com :idea: :crossx:

79Challenger
    This is good news.
    We launch at our little ramp at the river. Mostly concrete, but lots of wayward substrate.
    A month or so ago our garages got broken into. Our neighbor had his Ranger stolen. It seemed as if the theives used it to tow other stolen goods. The transfer case was shot. It is supposed to have been "built" since. It is now alot faster than ours. There must be some sort of gearing you can do.

sigepmock
    Does Black Rhino sell a Pontoon add on kit for the Rhino yet? (A.K.A. the Hippo)
    The Rhino does alot of things well but I don't think I would tackel a steep slippery ramp with anything that weighs over 1500lbs unless you want to go for a swim. :rollside:
    <----- starting a new company Pink Hippo Performance.com :idea: :crossx:
    You know the pontoon is about the only boat i would really feel comfortable launching with the Rhino :crossx:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast