Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tow with a Rhino?

Froggystyle
    thats funny could you put a brake controler on it to use the trailer brakes to help stop it
    Thinking about that myself. From what all of the Rhino guys are saying, the brakes aren't the problem. This should be able to control the boat all the way down the ramp on a shallow ramp. Where the drama would exist is in pulling it out...

Big Kahunaa
    just run the boat up on the trailer a little fast to give the rhino a head start

Froggystyle
    just run the boat up on the trailer a little fast to give the rhino a head start
    That is the other deal. I understand if you just nudge them up a little to get started you are 90% of the way there. Plus, with the jet, we don't have to worry about dragging an outdrive while doing this.

XtrmWakeborder
    Irrelevant. The capacity of the garage/moho is near it's limits at a full load of water, fuel and 1500 in the garage. If I can't lift it, it shouldn't be in the garage...
    Well i have the solution then, new motorhome and THEN the samurai! The problem i'm thinking about is the fact that on a slippery ramp the rhino would just slip into the river. It wouldn't be to fun getting sucked into the river.

2Driver
    I think you would be better off with a Jeep.
    My thoughts too. Tick out a CJ5 assuming you have room in the RV. I towed with my CJ5 for 5 years in Havasu and we lived up on the south side. Worked great and doubled as my desert 4x4.

Froggystyle
    My thoughts too. Tick out a CJ5 assuming you have room in the RV. I towed with my CJ5 for 5 years in Havasu and we lived up on the south side. Worked great and doubled as my desert 4x4.
    How many different ways do I have to say 1200 pounds, under 10 feet long?
    Seriously, no Samurais, no Jeeps, no Chevy Blazers... Too big, too heavy.
    BTW... we are coming to Pleasant this weekend. You down?

2Driver
    How many different ways do I have to say 1200 pounds, under 10 feet long?
    BTW... we are coming to Pleasant this weekend. You down?
    Dope!
    Didn't read the whole thread and went right to the suggestion box. I figured it might be too big.
    We are all home and may hit either Pleasant or Bartlett this weekend. My new trailer tires are not going to be in until next week so I risk towing on the GoodyearÂ’s that one of separated on the 4th. Spare is on. What day are your going out. We'll be sure to come by in our boat if we choose Pleasant.

48OFF
    I dont think pulling it out will be the problem, keeping from being pulled down the ramp backwards will be the exitement. Do the math less than 1200lb on wet pavement trying to stop 6000lb with the front wheels locked up trying to hit the lake and not everything else in the way. When trying to not hit something you will have to let up on the brakes to steer, only to make you go faster backwards.After the 1st time, you will come up with a new plan in a hurry.All this after spending $9000 on one of the above machines. I have a 21ft boat and dont think I would ever try to do it. I have done the backwards skidding ,locked up, no stopping thing with a 4 wheeler trying to launch a single pwc. And they are much closer in weight to each other, and a pwc is not a $180,000 machine. Make one of your buddies bring a pickup to be the launch vehicle.

wsuwrhr
    Stop saying Samurai or Jeep. They are too large, and weigh too much. Period. I need something that is light, small and can tow the boat in and out. The Mule looks like it might be the deal but it is 400 pounds too heavy. The golf cart weighs just under 1,100 all decked out and the lift will not carry two people and the cart. Figure it gets stopped in it's tracks at about 1500, and that is the Mule's dry weight advertised. Add a cage, take away the bed, add some seats etc... and I bet it would be too heavy.
    Tough nut to crack. I don't know that the system exists to do what I need to do, but what I am looking at right now is building a Rhino with a supercharger, airbags and upgraded clutch assembly. The company I am looking to work with is providing a suspension, body panels and cage etc...
    Who knows... I was just hoping to find out someone was towing their 21 Schiada in and out with it all the time or something. The Trident weighs in at under 6K on the trailer, which is only slightly more than my last 21, which I saw being launched with impunity at Fischers landing this weekend.
    I may know someone who can resolve ANY power/transmission issues you may have.
    Turbo systems I believe are in the $5-8000 range. Pricey.
    I don't know the tongue weight/total capacity available for towing though.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    I dont think pulling it out will be the problem, keeping from being pulled down the ramp backwards will be the exitement. Do the math less than 1200lb on wet pavement trying to stop 6000lb with the front wheels locked up trying to hit the lake and not everything else in the way. When trying to not hit something you will have to let up on the brakes to steer, only to make you go faster backwards.After the 1st time, you will come up with a new plan in a hurry.All this after spending $9000 on one of the above machines. I have a 21ft boat and dont think I would ever try to do it. I have done the backwards skidding ,locked up, no stopping thing with a 4 wheeler trying to launch a single pwc. And they are much closer in weight to each other, and a pwc is not a $180,000 machine. Make one of your buddies bring a pickup to be the launch vehicle.
    Exactly my concerns. Kinetic energy.
    Brian

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast