Thread: need the doc.

My sisters fiance has a 18ft boat with a stock ford 460 motor in it. It's running a MSD billet dist with a mallory ignition box/coil. This weekend we had it out and although the boat needs to be tuned and the carb probably needs to be gone through it runs ok, not great. We started to get low on fuel and i dont know if this is a coincidence or not but the boat did not want to idle. When trying to keep it idling by blimping the throttle and just giving it some gas it would pop/backfire out the carb and stumble but once you got on it it would run and cruse. When we got gas it cleaned up alittle bit but still wasnt right. I'm thinking he may have some water in his tanks, what do you guys think?

rerfert
    Check your fuel filter also Sounds like junk or water in the system.

fuel filters where just changed a few trips ago, there are 3 of them in place, one on front of each tank and then one right before the carb. The clear plastic one in front of the carb was pretty dirty when he changed it. If it was dirty filters wouldnt that cause problems at higher rpms?

rrrr
    Sounds like a coincidence with the low fuel issue. Is the accelerator pump putting out a good strong shot?
    BTW, lose the $.99 Pep Boys fuel filters. Boat fires aren't fun.

Sounds like a coincidence with the low fuel issue. Is the accelerator pump putting out a good strong shot?
    BTW, lose the $.99 Pep Boys fuel filters. Boat fires aren't fun.
    The filters in it now are the cheapo metal filters... Last time he had a problem with it back firing out the carbs and not idling and loading up he replaced the filter before the carb and it cleaned up.

centerhill condor
    perhaps a can of sea foam fuel treatment water neutralizer/combiner? That water has to go somwhere. The other option is to drain the tanks.
    had the same prob on 7/1 and new filters/seperators with a can of sea foam made it all better for less than $25 which made the wife happy. There was brown watery goo in the filters.
    Good luck!

You found a seperator for unles $25 bucks? where?
    This sea foam stuff removes the water? where i can i get it?

centerhill condor
    auto zone, most parts places 'round here anyway...just ask for sea foam the name is on the bottle... the seps are spin on filter/sep... $8/ea. hope this helps!
    got it done!