Thread: oil pump and pickup

I have a new oil pump and pickup, the pickup is for the dooley pan and bolts to one of the main bolts. Do i still need to have the pickup welded to the pump? If so the book taked about either tacking it or Brazing it. I dont have a welder. What is required to Braze? is Brazing recommended?

GofastRacer
    If it bolts on don't weld or braze it, the pickup can't go anywhere if it's bolted. Too much chance of warping the pump when you weld or braze it. And if you're still worried about it use Loctite Bearing Race Retainer(the green stuff)garonteed it will never come off!..

Mighty Thor
    Brazing is done by using an Oxy/acetylene torch and a brazing rod which is made out of Brass with a flux coating. It is the equivalent of soldering in that it uses a metal that will bond to steel at a lower temp than is required to weld steel together.

GofastRacer
    Yep and it falls of within no time, been there done that more than once!..

Fiat48
    :2purples: :2purples: Yeah...plus the heat I don't care for neither.
    What I have been doing is to swell that pickup tube so that baby goes into that oil pump killer tight. That is more to keep from sucking air that holding the pickup in. Then I rely on the pickup holdown bolt.
    I wish they would thread those pickups so we could tap the oil pump and be done with it. Without fabricating a bunch.

GofastRacer
    :2purples: :2purples: Yeah...plus the heat I don't care for neither.
    What I have been doing is to swell that pickup tube so that baby goes into that oil pump killer tight. That is more to keep from sucking air that holding the pickup in. Then I rely on the pickup holdown bolt.
    I wish they would thread those pickups so we could tap the oil pump and be done with it. Without fabricating a bunch.
    Hell just do like Ford does, bolt it to the pump!..

LeE ss13
    Dooley makes a special Circle Boat pickup that bolts to the pump. It lists for about $110 which is nuts.

GofastRacer
    Dooley makes a special Circle Boat pickup that bolts to the pump. It lists for about $110 which is nuts.
    :2purples: $110 for a pickup?, what the hell are they smokin!..

Gotta believe that pump is cast iron...better know what your doing if you braze
    it..Steve

Mine has a plate that comes off the side of the pickup that looks like it bolts to a main. I'll just use that. If it doesnt feel tight i guess i'll need to try to flare it like fiat said.