Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: drive, prop, gears, What works and What Doesn't

hulshot
    Tunnel owners, I'm looking for some imput on some drive combos. Who's had good luck and Who hasn't? I'm finishing up a 26 HCB cat and need some drive combos that work. I now have a Teague Platinum drive with 1:36 and a 32 bravo, I don't know how long it will last coupled to a 1000+HP motor. I'm looking for what may hold up the best and run fastest ie... short lower with tall gears and high pitch or high gears with low pitch, ect, ect, B-Max, Imco, XR. Unfortunatly for me I dont know of alot of testing with this type of boat so thats why I need your help> Thanks...

burtandnancy
    That the million dollar question. The answer won't come cheap or easy. As you know a lot of guys test daily to find these answers. Now you have to get them to talk to you for reasonable bucks, cause now its not cheap anymore.
    You need to talk to your hull mfgr, engine builder and finally rigger. You'll probably get at least three answers, so work it out. Main thing though: Don't get hurt...

riverliver
    Hulshot
    SVO540 is running over 1000HP in his DCB 26
    he has a imco set up http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

hulshot
    RL does SVO540 have a short lower or standard lower?? Is there an advantage to either one? What gears?

hulshot
    What puts the biggest strain on the drive? I'm trying to get a strong combo so I don"t have to spend the thousands on hit and miss drive combos. I'm relying on others to lead in the right direction. I have talked to the builders and they say Teague because it's next door to them and they get good prices, also Howard has never experimented with different drive heights or gearing according to him. Same thing everytime I ask them, BOAT RUNS BEST AT THIS DRIVE HEIGHT WITH THIS PROP AND THIS IS THE SPEEDS YOU SHOULD GET. I don't think that is alot of help for someone trying to get all the potentials out of there product, or maybe this is the best combo and leave it alone???

SVO 540
    Hulshot, I have your answers but not enough time to post right now. I will post Friday with some details.

Craig
    Holeshots are what will kill a drive. It really loads the top gears, and boat weight is a factor. Flying the boat off a wave without pulling back on the throttle can ruin your day eventually as well!
    Seems like some folks have had luck with the B-Max, but the most popular right now seems to be the XR drive. There's a well know shop here in town that has not had much luck with the IMCO stuff. They have an issue with the design of the vertical shaft. But there are folks out there running the crap out of them with success. The new IMCO Advantage SC with the new case looks interesting.
    If I were putting togther a new boat right now, I'd go with the XR. (unless money started falling out of my butt, then it's be a #6 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif )
    Just my 2 cents, and it ain't even worth that really!!
    [This message has been edited by Craig (edited March 01, 2002).]

MrHavasuCat
    I have a Teague XR on my DCB with a blown 510. I have not had a problem yet. I have one season on the boat. I was running 1.50's and had Teague change the foot gears so I am now running 1.35's.
    With the 1.50's I was having to run larger props and planing was a bitch, not to mention more slip. I was able to drop down to a labed 30 with the new gear ratio, and just bought a 28 for the warmer months at Havasu.
    As long as you don't hammer on the drive out of the hole, although I know some who have and have not broken, the XR should be fine.

572Daytona
    I've got an American Turbine drive that I've had no problems with and should be good to approx 2000hp. I've also had the best luck with no gears or props at all http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

MrHavasuCat
    Put that American Turbine in a 26' cat and you will have a dog!!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast