Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Edlebrock Performer 455 Olds heads worth the $$$

I just got the papers on what has been done to the blown-up Olds 455 thats in the boat i just got. I tried to crank the motor, it still runs but is making a slight low-pitch squeaking noise. (not good, but kind of expected)
    Looking at the recipts, So far, been rebuilt atleast twice, it looks like it has been bored .30, Crankshaft ground 020 R 020M. It has a Main and head stud kit, and has the following parts:
    Edelbrock Performer 455 Olds Manifold - 2151
    Holly 800CFM Marine Carb. 4011
    Speed-Pro Power Forged Pistons (.30) TRW-L2323F30
    COMP CAMS 280H MAGNUM CAM 42-231-4
    (No indication of any special rods installed.)
    Now, I have a feeling Im going to have to build up a junkyard motor and Im going to try to salvage these parts for it, but it looks like the only thing he didnt get was the 455 Performer heads.
    Edelbrock heads link (http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...1&autoview=sku)
    Do you think these are worth the $$$ or keep the stock heads? Im going to start tearing down the motor tommorow. Also, is that a good cam? Any other suggestions?

Old Guy
    I like mine. I have pretty much the same setup except the cam. I don't know what you got there. I'm running 10.25:1 compression and 91 octane gas. With log exhaust system, it makes about 470 hp.

YeLLowBoaT
    If you want to make big power then Yes. If your happy wiith about 450 ish then no.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Take that crank and throw it as far as you can. I would never un a 20/20 crank. 10/10 is my personal limit. Other than that you have some great parts there Should be a great mill when your done

Taylorman
    Take that crank and throw it as far as you can. I would never un a 20/20 crank. 10/10 is my personal limit. Other than that you have some great parts there Should be a great mill when your done
    Funny, i guess im cheap. My crank is .030 and .040. I cant remember which is which though. No problems yet.

Devilman
    Funny, i guess im cheap. My crank is .030 and .040. I cant remember which is which though. No problems yet.
    From what I seen, it runs pretty friggin good, too!

Sleek-Jet
    Why??? Old school thought was bigger journals were better, but the smaller journal slows down bearing speed considerably. Lot's of high HP builders are running 30/30 cranks and the like. I'd have the crank magnafluxed and if it test ok, go a head and run it.
    I'd also take a look at that junk-yard motor. It might have a steel crank in it, depending on what car it came out of. You never know, you could get lucky.
    As far as the heads go, what heads to you have now?? Look on the left hand side of the head and there will be a large letter cast in the head next to the spark plug hole. What does it say??? C, G, K, Ka????

Wet Dream
    A good set of worked over "C" heads flow as good as or better than the Edelbrocks

Taylorman
    A good set of worked over "C" heads flow as good as or better than the Edelbrocks
    But aluminum is soooooooooooo pretty.

V1800J
    I remember reading a tech article somewhere that one of the RPM limiting factors on OLDS was the large size main journals because it builds up so much heat at higher RPM's. Maybe by turning them down, you can decrease the surface area somewhat, thus reducing heat. If you stick with the olds, I would most definately get a 10 quart oil pan, main restricters (from Mondello) and a oil cooler. Taylorman seems to be doing fine with his cut down crank.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast