Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Have A Question...You Be The Judge

Doug The Jeweler
    About 6 months ago I sold a 900 hp motor to a guy who is very nice.He got the motor and was very happy with his purchase price of $7000.00 The engine was used but had been machined and ready for reassembly .The crank had been welded up due to previous damage.I had assembled and run the motor 1 time before we completely rebuilt.It detonated the bearing at an idle due to some bad gas.We took apart the motor and sent the crank to a shop to be polished and checked for straitness.It passed with flying colors.Last week he calls me and tells me that the crank is no good and wants me to split the cost of a new crank ($1600.00)At first I agreed even though I had already spent his money and didn't have it to give to him this month but after talking to the engine builder and the crank shop the both tell me it was in good shape when I sent it to him.I don't know anything about cranks and rely on experts.I want to believe this guy when he says that he hasn't put it together in 6 months but what do I do.What would you do?I am honest but I don't want to be taken advantage of.If this was your delima what would you do.Please Help
    [This message has been edited by Doug The Jeweler (edited January 15, 2002).]

future boater
    have him email you some pics and inspect them. or have him send you the crank take it to your engine builder and look at it together. from there you can make a judgement on whether it was caused from the problem you had. just an idea! good luck with your dilemna...

Slick
    Don't mean to be a shit, but do the words "Sold As Is" mean anything? It's like buying an electrical part for your car from the dealer. Once you walk out the door, it's yours.

RiverDave2
    Doug if you already told him you would split the costs then that makes it a difficult decison.. If you hadn't said those words it would be alot easier to tell him no.. That's what I would do either way if your experts are saying it's fine. If you do end up paying him get the crank back and make sure it's the same one..
    RD

rivercrazy
    Did you tell him what condition the crank was in before you sold it to him?
    If so, there is a saying called "let the buyer beware".

HavasuBarney
    Originally posted by Doug The Jeweler:
    split the cost of a new crank ($2600.00)At first I agreed even though I had already spent his money and didn't have it to give to him this month but
    I want to believe this guy when he says that
    I am honest but ...
    Do not allow others to let you off the hook, it is your honesty that is at stake here and you stated you were honest.
    If you want to believe him, do it.
    You all ready agreed to pay.
    Does not mater if he is telling the truth or not, follow through simply because YOU SAID YOU WOULD. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

spectras only
    Doug ,you sold him an item "as is",period!You're honest to help him out, ask him to go to your builder with you ,maybe the builder has some ID mark on the shaft to recognize it if it's his.I'm not accusing anyone ,but swaps happened before.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited January 15, 2002).]

Doug The Jeweler
    I agreed to split the cost before the question came up was it assembled and ran since he has had it.Both the engine builder and the crank shop (Total custom crank shop)said that he must of assembled it as it was in good shape when it was sent to him.I agreed to split the cost based on his information only before I did some investegation on my own and Before I knew the facts about the condition of the crank crank.

RiverDave2
    It would sound to me as if you've already made up your mind as to what you plan on doing.
    RD

Doug The Jeweler
    I have not made up my mind even if it sounds like it.I am on the fence as what to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast