Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water/Methanol injection?

T-56
    I'm on a turbo-truck forum and we use methanol injection to "help" keep intake temps down and assist our intercoolers. My question is could you run a plate under the carbs on a blown 454 (8-71, forged internals, 8.0-1 c/r, mild but built for a blower) instead of spending big bucks on a chiller?
    I know there are few similarities between a GMC Syclone and a SC 454 in a boat but figured it might work on a relatively low HP application.

IMPATIENT 1
    Most Of The Kits Come With A Plume Nozzle, No Plates. The Snow Kit Works Well On Diesels, I've Installed 3 So Far.it Brings Down The Intake Air Temp And Slows Detonation.i Personally Wouldn't Want One On A Nice Gas Mill.superchiller Is The Only Way To Go On A Blower!!wish I Had The Dough!

Blown 472
    Or run E85

Daytona100
    Snow performance has a 1inch thick carb spacer with the nozzle in it. Still need to dial my kit in but it has potential.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ot_002-med.jpg :idea:

Badburn
    Ive been thinking of trying this on my 515 inch BBC with a B&M 174 blower. The blower gets real hot during a long run, and makes the most power right when you stab it , I think because the intake charge is cooler.
    Does anyone have any idea how much methanol you can inject without disturbing the air fuel ratio to bad?
    :idea: Im thinking of trying a powershot NOS plate regulated down to 1 or 2 psi.(without the nitrous) I can't be the first guy with a hairbrain idea like this!!! :idea:

Daytona100
    A 174 on a 515ci motor im surprised your building any boost at all. What size pulleys are you running? Im running a 177 on a 454 with a 7inch bottom pulley and a 3inch top to get 5 psi boost.

Daytona100
    Ive been thinking of trying this on my 515 inch BBC with a B&M 174 blower. The blower gets real hot during a long run, and makes the most power right when you stab it , I think because the intake charge is cooler.
    Does anyone have any idea how much methanol you can inject without disturbing the air fuel ratio to bad?
    :idea: Im thinking of trying a powershot NOS plate regulated down to 1 or 2 psi.(without the nitrous) I can't be the first guy with a hairbrain idea like this!!! :idea:
    Also call up snow performance and check there website lots of info. They have a 1inch plate already set up for there nozzles. :idea:

T-56
    It sure would be nice if someone would just make a water-cooled blower. You know, run the lake water through the blower jackets before it goes into the engine's water jackets.
    Nah, that'll never work...
    ($1,000,000.00 idea if you could "retro-fit" the system to a customer's current 6 or 8-71,)

Badburn
    my 515 has 3.5 pounds, with 7 inch on the bottom and not sure on the top.
    I like the water cooled idea.... Maybe I could put a sprinkler under the hatch and leave the bilge pump on...........

Warp Factor
    It sure would be nice if someone would just make a water-cooled blower. You know, run the lake water through the blower jackets before it goes into the engine's water jackets.
    Nah, that'll never work...
    Mooneyham made one years ago....maybe they still do.
    I don't think the blower casing has enough surface area though to have much effect on intake air temperatures.
    Alchy injection works, though. Many people use it on cars instead of an intercooler, or in addition to an intercooler. They can get post-blower temperatures below outside air temperature.
    Water injection works too. I'm getting ~1000 horsepower with pump gas on a 502, injected at a rate of 17 gallons per hour.
    As to the fuel-air issue, alcohol is tolerant of much higher ratios than gasoline. It's usually OK to run as rich as 11 to 1 (or even a bit richer) with alcohol injection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast