Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help: 455 Olds Ignition Upgrade

455Olds
    I've heard of guys removing their stock single point distributors on their 455 olds motors and replacing them with an HEI out of a junk yard. Cheap and effective. Has anyone done this or know if it's true and will work? I've had alot of problems finding an aftermarket distributor that'll clear my tunnell ram, but am getting frustrated with the performance of the points set-up.
    Specific part numbers, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

502 JET
    I dont think a HEI distributor will clear your tunnelram either.Try a MSD distributor.

LoadedGun
    I used the Crane XRi conversion in my Olds last year and love it. It was a piece of cake to install, 2 wires and it has a built in rev limiter. :rollside: I got it off Ebay $65 in think.

malcolm
    Same here, Crane XR-i. Seems to work pretty good.

75MillerJet
    these just convert the points to electronic? seem to be more efficient?

73WriedtCustom
    The Mallory model YH seems to fire quite nice on my 455. I would, however like to set up an ignition controlled rev-limiter for when...

kachina_labala
    I have a mallory unilite i would part with. for an olds 455.

455Olds
    I have a mallory unilite i would part with. for an olds 455.
    Tell me more... electronic? Ease of Install? Price?
    I used the Crane XRi conversion in my Olds last year and love it. It was a piece of cake to install, 2 wires and it has a built in rev limiter. I got it off Ebay $65 in think.
    As easy as it sounds? Use the existing coil or upgrade? No separate ignition box?

kachina_labala
    actually my buddies but he changed to a DUI when he changed motors.. Its off an olds 442. Very low running time. Its a comp 9000unilite. Ill call him and get $ info.

malcolm
    Yes, the Crane unit is just a point replacement. No boxes or other mods req. I was curious if my tach would work normal, yup! The rev limiter adjusts with a small screwdriver with the cap off. 4000-6000 rpm. I bought mine from Jegs for $65 also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast