Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Blown Jet Records Falls

American Turbine Man
    I stand Corrected it was 176.39mph
    I may be wrong but. don't you have to "back it up" to get the record.
    Also he was running NITRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
    ATM

hellman2u
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...105&p=74417583 current awesome toy 555 Owners Dan and Patty Kirkman

bp
    I stand Corrected it was 176.39mph
    bill place was great, and a forerunner. and although he probably went 176, no sanctioning body has retained a record from that era, which was 30 years ago. couple things to keep in mind; that was an open boat, and he ran nitro. finally, runs were initiated much differently 30 years ago, compared to today. dan's boat remains the quickest/fastest baj, on record, since the change in starting line configuration. can't speculate what the results will be when/if they go to nitro.
    current top fuel jet records are 163ihba, 157sdba, et 7.13 in ihba, 6.9something in sdba.. this boat is very close to those marks, on alky.
    ronnie, i don't recall seeing that name on the side of the boat :crossx:
    cs, it's either hydraulic or air. since i didn't look that hard, and i know the bucket is air, i'd say air.
    robert, congrats on the win back there! great job.

BigBlockOldsJet
    I may be wrong but. don't you have to "back it up" to get the record.
    Also he was running NITRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
    ATM
    What was the HP of the fuelers 30 years ago, probably the same if not less than as a stout modern alcohol hemi.

screamdreambrad
    What was the HP of the fuelers 30 years ago, probably the same if not less than as a stout modern alcohol hemi.
    that may verywell be,but they also had twice the run at the startingline. huge difference.

bp
    I got a call from a friend who was at the Oklahoma race, he said there is a daytona with a blown motor running in the higher 7s in 6500 ft. of air, not too shabby either.
    based on weather conditions recorded sunday in ok, and using the ok airport altitude of 1299', d/a was around 4200-4300'. i have no idea if the airport altitude is higher/lower/same as the river. last year, mf was a little worse.

bp
    a lot of those boats rarely made full passes and broke more often than not. which is not to say those guys didn't give it hell tryin', just that those engines didn't live very long or very well. on occasion, someone would whip out a big run, but that wasn't the norm. even fuel boats from 10-15 years ago couldn't reliably make it happen every pass.
    i'm all for giving those guys their due, but records were made to be broken, and it is cool that someone has stepped up with a little current technology, and is going for it. the "old days" didn't have the weight of the capsule to deal with, and had 400 foot runs at the starting line, so it's practically impossible to compare apples to apples.

pce680
    Roger Way in the "California Hustler" and Frank Place's boat "The Place Setter" both ran 160+MPH with ET's in the 6.70's several times for records in 1990/1991 time period.This was on the current starting system and in Capsule Placecraft Tunnel boats.Still the FASTEST TFJ's. Ron

Does kirkman have a Brad Anderson motor?

Bense468
    Roger Way in the "California Hustler" and Frank Place's boat "The Place Setter" both ran 160+MPH with ET's in the 6.70's several times for records in 1990/1991 time period.This was on the current starting system and in Capsule Placecraft Tunnel boats.Still the FASTEST TFJ's. Ron
    I remember the pink placecraft well.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast