Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with base tune up for a Race Aero turbo motor

RaceAeroMini
    I have bee lurking for years and I finally have my boat out of the corner of the garage and running in the driveway.
    I have got it running well but I had a couple of questions.
    1. I have the initial timing at 12 degree BTDC and total at 34 degrees. The engine idle speed goes up until about 20 degrees BTDC. It also is smoother with more advance.
    What do you guys recommend for initial advance? I will want about 30 to 32 degrees total and will adjust the Mallory advance to get that total correct. It has been recommended to run the distribuer locked out at 30 degrees. I may still do that.
    2. Where do the idle mixture screws usually end up? I started with all four 3/4 turn backed out. The carb is a Holley 9380 annular. The exhaust smelled rich and I closed down to 1/2 on primary and 1/4 on secondary. The engine doesn't seem to change idle speed except when they are closed all the way.
    Thanks for the help.
    Jim

RaceAeroMini
    I figured someone would have an opinion. Thanks anyway. I'll run it with 12 degrees initial and 32 total and see what happens.
    Jim

schiada96
    I'd run it locked out at 30 and check for a vacumme leak

ColeTR2
    locked out 30 ~ 32. are your running pump gas?

RaceAeroMini
    For tooling around the lake with the wife and kids I am running pump gas. I don't have a boost gage as this was a minimalist ski race boat.
    For running hard I run 100 LL.
    Does anyone know how much boost I should be making. Rajay 301E10 turbos with some kind of cam. I am guessing an Engle TCS7. I can turn 6200 rpm with the gears in the box now, whatever they are.

RUSHIN ROULETTE
    I see about 14 lbs. of boost at 6000 rpm with 50% gears. I run 110 octane always.

MKEELINE
    You should really look at putting in a boost gauge, along with a fuel pressure, oil pressure/temp and water temp gauge(if you don't already). These will give you some basic info that can be very useful .Is your setup a single carb?

RaceAeroMini
    This is an 18' Hallett Mini with the radiused keel. It's an old ski racer. The previous owner was Richard Babcock. I've had it about eight years but I haven't run it since my number two was born - five years.
    The engine is a 454 with 990 heads. The turbo system is a single carb race aero. Currently I have a Motorola tach, oil pressure and water temp. The previous owner said they ran 100LL fuel and it was fine for whatever boost it was making.
    I am assuming the ski racing folks used this engine on a regular basis and it worked fine with this sort of standard setup. It's run fine without being taken apart for 20 years or so. I was told it was a Dunsmore boat. It is rigged like a flat bottom. Engine 29 inches forward of the transom with a 7 degree shaft angle.
    What do you guys run for oil? Right now I have twelve quarts of Castrol racing oil, straight 30 wt.

RUSHIN ROULETTE
    I run 20/50 torco mpz racing.. 14 qts.

MKEELINE
    20/50 Valvoline Racing 12 quarts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast