Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hose won't fit!

mondorally
    So here's the deal. I'm changing out some water lines between the sea strainer, oil cooler, PS cooler, and water pump. Old lines are 1.25" ID. New lines are 1.25" ID and won't slip on the fittings. Brass fittings on oil cooler and PS cooler are about 1.32" OD. Again, the old lines, marked the same ID as the new ones, slip right on. But you can see where they've stretched a bit over time. I've tried WD-40, axle grease, even boiling the hose to soften it up.
    Any other suggestions before I turn down the fittings on a lathe?
    Thanks
    -Justin

centerhill condor
    ice on fittings? warm the hose? just an idea from the balls off a brass monkey story.

Wet Dream
    Sounds like you have the big oil cooler with the water ends that have the single raised lip for the hose?

MKEELINE
    Try talking dirty to them, if that don't work spit on it.

Wet Dream
    If it is, I canned those big old unflexible lines and took my cooler down to the local plumbing store. I found a couple of bushings that fit the inner diameter, yet was still a little loose, and coupled that with fittings that I could fit some pipe to AN's. A little sanding, some flux and solder and a Benzene torch, and it was done. Of course it wasn't the prettiest job, I've never sweat pipes before, but it went well and holds together great.

mondorally
    Sounds like you have the big oil cooler with the water ends that have the single raised lip for the hose?
    No lip on the cooler ends. It seems like it would be too loose with 1 3/8" hose but it is definately too tight with 1 1/4" hose - despite the fact that the old stuff is definately 1 1/4"
    -Justin

flat broke
    Call your friendly neighborhood SS hose dealer (superdave013) (http://www.sweetperformance.com/) and have him do ya braided between those two points. It costs more, but it fits, looks clean and is a lot easier to remove for maintenance etc.
    Good Luck,
    Chris

mondorally
    Call your friendly neighborhood SS hose dealer (superdave013) (http://www.sweetperformance.com/) and have him do ya braided between those two points. It costs more, but it fits, looks clean and is a lot easier to remove for maintenance etc.
    Good Luck,
    Chris
    Not a bad idea, exept that I'm talking about a total of 5 connections (3 hoses) on one engine, and 3 connections (two hoses) on the other. As I type and talk my way out of it I may just take a picture of the whole setup and get a quote! Couldn't hurt, right?
    Justin

rerfert
    So here's the deal. I'm changing out some water lines between the sea strainer, oil cooler, PS cooler, and water pump. Old lines are 1.25" ID. New lines are 1.25" ID and won't slip on the fittings. Brass fittings on oil cooler and PS cooler are about 1.32" OD. Again, the old lines, marked the same ID as the new ones, slip right on. But you can see where they've stretched a bit over time. I've tried WD-40, axle grease, even boiling the hose to soften it up.
    Any other suggestions before I turn down the fittings on a lathe?
    Thanks
    -Justin
    New lines are 1.25"??
    Not being a smart ass here But did you measure them (maybe they are miss marked?)
    You are only talking about .007" difference between the 1.32 and 1.25...NO way should that be a problem??
    WD-40 is good wet but hell if it starts to dry out before you get it on.

That's .070", ( a bit greater than 1/16") and can present a problem depending on the braiding and liner material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast