Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !!! Attn: Chevy Tech's!!!!

gnRacer98
    It's called sales, a common practice in the automotive repair business, sell, sell, sell. My '98 1/2 ton started leaking around 60K also, a common problem with that era Vortec motor. If it's not leaking I wouldn't worry till it does, I went almost a year before I had to give in. And if that is not bad enough, get ready to bend over somemore, cause when you fix the intake gasket he'll probably tell you the radiator needs to be rebuilt too! Brightside, it's cheaper than a new truck, unless you need a new truck?

Jetdriver
    Well thanks for the replies. Heres the deal, this wasnt a dealer I took this to it was a independant mechanic. Im extremely careful when it comes to my cars especially the Tahoe since it carries my wife and kids around town everyday. He told me on the phone that there was sludge in the overflow tank and that he could see it under the cap. He also said he could see the leak on the top of the manifold. Well when I got home and looked at the tahoe, First thing I noticed was that the overflow tank was just as clean as new. NOTHING WRONG IN THE OVERFLOW TANK. So then I took off the cap, Guess what, thats right nothing gummed up under there either. Then I looked at the intake, I dont know how he could have possibly noticed at leak since the whole thing is swamped in wires and hoses. So heres where I left it. He took care of the original problem and now I will take it to a dealer for a second opinion. Im sure that there are problems with the intake, what I have a problem with is the fact that he just lied to me about the sludge under the cap and in the overflow tank. Thanks for the replies!
    Scooter

MikeF
    When they decline and break down,they are back bitching about my vehicle was just in and nobody told them.Thats why i always write a story and document everything.
    C.Y.O.A!

shadow
    Tough posistion you are in with the independant.I'd take it to the Dealer and get a second opinion.If he was lying it wouldn't be the last he heard from me.
    I can say this,people are alway leary when it comes to trusting a mechanic.
    But i think you will have the best service at a Dealer.May not be thrilled when you get the bill but you will get a 12month/12k mile warranty on the work.
    Good luck with the repairs,if you pass through Havasu while out boating i'll look at it for you no charge.

JAY4SPEED
    Jetdriver, when you get the chance, peek at the back of the intake where it meets the cylilnder heads at the rear of the engine, near the firewall. I use an inspection mirror and a flashlight and you may be able to see the coolant traces. The way we check them at work is to put the coolant system under 15 psi of pressure with a coolant pressure tester and look for the leak. While your looking around the engine, check the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump for any coolant traces. Check the heater hose nipple at the intake right behind the alternator for any signs of leakage. Do a maintenance check on your own vehicle before you bring it in for the second opinion, that way at least you'll have a heads up on what they are going to suggest.
    The best advice I could give you is to find a service writer and a technician at the dealership that you feel that you can trust. Whenever you can, request the same tech to work on your vehicle. Talk directly to the tech if its possible. I try to talk to my customers as much as I can and I'm upfront and honest with the situation at hand. Sometimes, it may not be what they wanted to hear and sometimes I can find a way to save them money or a better repair for the same problem, nonetheless, they always return. They appreciate my honesty because I developed trust with them. Its a hard business to be in when there are a lot of monkeys out there who lie cheat and steal making it harder for the rest of us. Good luck on getting it back together in one piece!
    Good luck with the repairs,if you pass through Havasu while out boating i'll look at it for you no charge.
    Now thats the real meaning of people helping people!
    Jay

Beer-30
    My '98 7400 Vortec took gasket(s) at 50K, leaking coolant. Different motor, but common problem.
    What one person sees may be different from another.

Sleek-Jet
    Reason #8246 why I work on my own vehicles...

wet77
    Jay4speed is right on mine the coolant leaked down the back of the motor and then would burn off on the exhaust so you would smell it but would not notice any drips on the ground.

RitcheyRch
    Since you are in the SFV you should take it to Tony at Dodge Brothers on Chatsworth. Have used them for years and he is very reasonable and reliable.
    Well thanks for the replies. Heres the deal, this wasnt a dealer I took this to it was a independant mechanic. Im extremely careful when it comes to my cars especially the Tahoe since it carries my wife and kids around town everyday. He told me on the phone that there was sludge in the overflow tank and that he could see it under the cap. He also said he could see the leak on the top of the manifold. Well when I got home and looked at the tahoe, First thing I noticed was that the overflow tank was just as clean as new. NOTHING WRONG IN THE OVERFLOW TANK. So then I took off the cap, Guess what, thats right nothing gummed up under there either. Then I looked at the intake, I dont know how he could have possibly noticed at leak since the whole thing is swamped in wires and hoses. So heres where I left it. He took care of the original problem and now I will take it to a dealer for a second opinion. Im sure that there are problems with the intake, what I have a problem with is the fact that he just lied to me about the sludge under the cap and in the overflow tank. Thanks for the replies!
    Scooter

Jetdriver
    Jetdriver, when you get the chance, peek at the back of the intake where it meets the cylilnder heads at the rear of the engine, near the firewall. I use an inspection mirror and a flashlight and you may be able to see the coolant traces. The way we check them at work is to put the coolant system under 15 psi of pressure with a coolant pressure tester and look for the leak. While your looking around the engine, check the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump for any coolant traces. Check the heater hose nipple at the intake right behind the alternator for any signs of leakage. Do a maintenance check on your own vehicle before you bring it in for the second opinion, that way at least you'll have a heads up on what they are going to suggest.
    The best advice I could give you is to find a service writer and a technician at the dealership that you feel that you can trust. Whenever you can, request the same tech to work on your vehicle. Talk directly to the tech if its possible. I try to talk to my customers as much as I can and I'm upfront and honest with the situation at hand. Sometimes, it may not be what they wanted to hear and sometimes I can find a way to save them money or a better repair for the same problem, nonetheless, they always return. They appreciate my honesty because I developed trust with them. Its a hard business to be in when there are a lot of monkeys out there who lie cheat and steal making it harder for the rest of us. Good luck on getting it back together in one piece!
    Now thats the real meaning of people helping people!
    Jay
    Thanks again for the reply. Ill get an inspection mirror and take a look back there before I take it anywhere else.
    Shadow, thanks for the offer! Wont be till October that Im in Havasu again, maybe we can just have a beer.
    Thanks again to all that replied. Ill let you know what happens next!
    Shawn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12