Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: An Inconvenient Truth- MOVIE

Goodtime$
    Just saw the movie, Al Gore presents the issue of global warming.
    Truthfully I enjoyed the movie and it was worth watching. The threat is real the signs are there.
    I know i wll be blasted for this as we all have high performance boats, but there are many little things we can do help out.
    Fuel Injection, 4 stroke Outboards and newer 2stroke technologies. Everything helps at home and at play to insure our earths future.
    cheers

Outnumbered
    You gotta be focking kidding me

Outnumbered
    Just saw the movie, Al Gore presents the issue of global warming.
    Truthfully I enjoyed the movie and it was worth watching. The threat is real the signs are there.
    I know i wll be blasted for this as we all have high performance boats, but there are many little things we can do help out.
    Fuel Injection, 4 stroke Outboards and newer 2stroke technologies. Everything helps at home and at play to insure our earths future.
    cheers
    You really think boat, motorcycle, PWC, car motors here in the US will make a difference when 3rd world countries have absolutely no regard for emissions and spew pollution into the environment in the form of coal power plants that are not clean burning like the ones here in the US? What about volcanoes? What about wild fires?
    The fact is that the earth temp fluctuates as a normal cycle. We are an insignificant dot on the timeline of the history of the earth. To think that we can change the earth temp is ignorant. What warmed the earth up after the last ice age? 2-stroke Eskimo sleds?
    Gore is a whack-job with an agenda and he is a joke. Don't fall into his trap. If we do all the shit he says we should, we will be left in the dust by the 3rd world manufacturers who will not abide by the clean air regs and produce goods for far cheaper than we could ever attain. Not only are we fighting cheap labor but also an unfair playing field with regard to environmental regulation. We are already the most environmentally conscious major industrial nation in the world by choice. If we tighten the noose any farther we will wither up and die. Open your eyes, don't believe everything you hear. I suppose you enjoyed and buy into Fahrenheit 911 also.

ROZ
    Tell us how you really feel, Mr. O

RitcheyRch
    Well stated.
    You really think boat, motorcycle, PWC, car motors here in the US will make a difference when 3rd world countries have absolutely no regard for emissions and spew pollution into the environment in the form of coal power plants that are not clean burning like the ones here in the US? What about volcanoes? What about wild fires?
    The fact is that the earth temp fluctuates as a normal cycle. We are an insignificant dot on the timeline of the history of the earth. To think that we can change the earth temp is ignorant. What warmed the earth up after the last ice age? 2-stroke Eskimo sleds?
    Gore is a whack-job with an agenda and he is a joke. Don't fall into his trap. If we do all the shit he says we should, we will be left in the dust by the 3rd world manufacturers who will not abide by the clean air regs and produce goods for far cheaper than we could ever attain. Not only are we fighting cheap labor but also an unfair playing field with regard to environmental regulation. We are already the most environmentally conscious major industrial nation in the world by choice. If we tighten the noose any farther we will wither up and die. Open your eyes, don't believe everything you hear. I suppose you enjoyed and buy into Fahrenheit 911 also.

Freak
    Carbon put into the earth's atmosphere from fossil fuels is not a part of the evolved carbon cycle, its in addtion to it. 70% of the earth's C02 to O2 conversion takes place in the oceans by phyto-plankton.
    I KNOW climate change is almost certainly inevitable, but curtailing emissions of greenhouse gases and planning methods for adapting may lessen the impact, such as sea levels could rise, threatening low-lying coastal areas; agricultural crop yields could rise early in the warming process but then sharply decline; and changes in precipitation, particularly in the western mountain ranges, could make it difficult to capture water in reservoirs.
    If anthropogenic emissions are the major cause of climate change, as appears very likely, then the damage caused will not be remedied in less than 300 years, even if we stop all emissions today. The gases don't disappear overnight. It will take centuries for CO2 equilibrium to be restored. As for PFCs, they have an atmospheric residence time of TENS OF THOUSANDS of years, so a tonne emitted today may still have 400-500 kg remaining in the atmosphere 10,000 years from now. OK, I admit they represent only 2-3% of the overall GHG effect, but the atmospheric loading is of PFCs is increasing daily. How do you explain to your great^400-grandchildren that you were the cause of such emissions that will still affect them?
    According to Discover Magazine, a recently-released Pentagon-comissioned study decided that climate change "should be elevated beyond the level of scientific debate and to that of a national security concern" (owing to rising sea levels).
    Are manmade emissions responsible? Almost certainly. A recent sampling of ice cores in Antarctica found that every warming phase in history was accompanied by a spike in CO2- and CO2 levels are at their highest in 24 million years (380 ppm). Though there are certainly other culprits, such as logging and clearing, which disrupts the negative feedback loop that usually results from elevated levels of CO2.
    So you would rather continue to poison the ground/water/air until we live in one giant sh*t hole? Just to stay competive? Where we cant eat seafood - mercury -(if any is left to catch) the air chokes you and the ground can't grow food. What about future generations?
    Gore does have an agenda and he is no wack job. To save the planet...What is wrong with that? I am sure we both can agree that polution is a problem. You give no solutions only that we need to stay the course in which future generations might consider you the wack job. We have to change.
    What if the U.S. started the change, got a handle on things and then we would be in the lead when the rest of the world HAD to follow? The change will have to happen so why not get a jump on it? Be the frontrunner....
    This "system" is not set up for sustainability. It's setup for $profit$. In the end we will pay the price if we stay the course.

Cas
    I'm kind of on the fence on this issue but we still do what we can to our part. Did ole Al show pictures of Elsinore? If not, pics of that place will sway anyone's opinion

SummerBreeze
    I never really liked Al Gore. He may have some points in his movie. I have thought about seeing the movie.
    Is the earth somewhat self cleaning??
    Here in the U.S. we have been working on the fact of doing our part to clean up our side of the fence.
    But what about the rest of the world??
    Some of the garbage that I see in the Lakes seems to be the worst ever.

Jbb
    Carbon put into the earth's atmosphere from fossil fuels is not a part of the evolved carbon cycle, its in addtion to it. 70% of the earth's C02 to O2 conversion takes place in the oceans by phyto-plankton.
    I KNOW climate change is almost certainly inevitable, but curtailing emissions of greenhouse gases and planning methods for adapting may lessen the impact, such as sea levels could rise, threatening low-lying coastal areas; agricultural crop yields could rise early in the warming process but then sharply decline; and changes in precipitation, particularly in the western mountain ranges, could make it difficult to capture water in reservoirs.
    If anthropogenic emissions are the major cause of climate change, as appears very likely, then the damage caused will not be remedied in less than 300 years, even if we stop all emissions today. The gases don't disappear overnight. It will take centuries for CO2 equilibrium to be restored. As for PFCs, they have an atmospheric residence time of TENS OF THOUSANDS of years, so a tonne emitted today may still have 400-500 kg remaining in the atmosphere 10,000 years from now. OK, I admit they represent only 2-3% of the overall GHG effect, but the atmospheric loading is of PFCs is increasing daily. How do you explain to your great^400-grandchildren that you were the cause of such emissions that will still affect them?
    According to Discover Magazine, a recently-released Pentagon-comissioned study decided that climate change "should be elevated beyond the level of scientific debate and to that of a national security concern" (owing to rising sea levels).
    Are manmade emissions responsible? Almost certainly. A recent sampling of ice cores in Antarctica found that every warming phase in history was accompanied by a spike in CO2- and CO2 levels are at their highest in 24 million years (380 ppm). Though there are certainly other culprits, such as logging and clearing, which disrupts the negative feedback loop that usually results from elevated levels of CO2.
    So you would rather continue to poison the ground/water/air until we live in one giant sh*t hole? Just to stay competive? Where we cant eat seafood - mercury -(if any is left to catch) the air chokes you and the ground can't grow food. What about future generations?
    Gore does have an agenda and he is no wack job. To save the planet...What is wrong with that? I am sure we both can agree that polution is a problem. You give no solutions only that we need to stay the course in which future generations might consider you the wack job. We have to change.
    What if the U.S. started the change, got a handle on things and then we would be in the lead when the rest of the world HAD to follow? The change will have to happen so why not get a jump on it? Be the frontrunner....
    This "system" is not set up for sustainability. It's setup for $profit$. In the end we will pay the price if we stay the course.
    So Im guessing O/T exhaust is out of the question for you......what with it being all ....noisey ....and shit......

cdog
    I can't wait till his next movie............The Hunt for Bigfoot.......

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast