Thread: Hydraulic Drive

HENRY WILLIAMS
    Is There A Hydraulic Drive System For An Inboard Where The Engine Drives Hydraulic Pump - Fluid In Hose To Turbine On Propeller Shaft?? I Have A Space Problem And Can Not Use A Conventional Mechanical Drive. Engine Is 225 Gm Vortec 43, 4800 Max Rpm. Propeller Is 12" Diameter. Boat Is 20 Ft Runabout.
    Thanks Much, Henry Williams

Racey
    I'm sure you could Frankenstein something from tractor parts but realistically i think it would waste so much power the boat would never plane.

I have a complete inboard set-up out of a 17 ft Century Sabre 351W with BW velvet drive, shaft, shaft log, and props.

Pismo
    I have seen bow and stern thrusters that are hydraulically powered (on large boats) Maybe one could be adapted for a main drive.

Ricardo Marine
    Henry, What you are proposing will require more Horse Power than your existing space problem will allow due to a certain degree of inefficiency. Hydraulic systems are great, I have years of experience with these systems..... but the purpose and use for hydraulic power for heavy equipment, etc. is far different from what you would be expecting for performance in a marine application.... especially in a 20 foot boat.
    The marine industry offers V drives, Stern Drives, Direct Shaft Drives and Outboards all for the purpose of efficiency in space and propulsion..... and while offering a balance between stern and bow regarding weight distibution, of which is critical on a boat.
    The wheel has already been invented, my friend...... and it works.
    Sorry, not the answer you were hoping for, Eh?