Thread: Piston cleaning??

n8dawg
    Pulled my heads off and saw that the tops of the pistons have a little black carbon build up on them. Can I use a wire wheel on them and blow it out with air one at a time? Or should I not even deal with this?

WannabeRacing
    Leave it alone.
    The amount of damage that could be done infinitely outreaches the hiderance of a little carbon on the slugs. And if you clean them off, the carbon will find its way right back.

steelcomp
    Ditto. The carbon actually acts like a heat barrier, and for whatever it's worth, bumps the compression slightly. It's not hurting anything, ands as WR said, you can cause damage by trying to remove it.

GofastRacer
    I wouldn't bother with it either, but if you want to clean them BrakeClean works great and you don't have to scratch the surfaces brushing them!..

lilrick
    I wouldn't bother with it either, but if you want to clean them BrakeClean works great and you don't have to scratch the surfaces brushing them!..
    well ..that break cleaner will actually drip down the sides of the cylinders and remove the oil from the walls of the cylinders and possibly even down farther into the engine. I would not clean the pistons with break cleaner.

GofastRacer
    Duhhhh, why would you poor it all over the place, you just spray a slight amount and wipe it off, done it many times!..

lilrick

GofastRacer
    Learned something new huh!..

n8dawg
    I think I'll just leave it alone! :crossx:
    Thanks guys.