Thread: Prop question?

Jyruiz
    I currently have a 22 4 blade, I have always wondered why my boat planes so well in slow speeds and I think that is it, what do you guys think? Also, how much more speed would a 24 4 blade prop give me? Oh, and I my boat is a 26'r with a 496mag, not the HO.

Dave C
    what RPM are you turning at WOT?
    generally speaking, the smaller prop, more low end & less top end. larger prop is the opposite.
    However since it takes more HP to turn the larger prop you are not guaranteed more MPH.
    I suggest borrowing a 24 and trying it before you buy one. Try it with your usual load of passengers and beer.
    You might pick up some MPH but also lose some low end. You will probably drop 200-300 rpm.

HocusPocus
    if you go see richard at the propeller company (http://www.thepropellercompany.com/) in havasu, he will let you try out different props until you find one you like.

buzzaro
    I currently have a 22 4 blade, I have always wondered why my boat planes so well in slow speeds and I think that is it, what do you guys think? Also, how much more speed would a 24 4 blade prop give me? Oh, and I my boat is a 26'r with a 496mag, not the HO.
    Also double check the ratio on your drive, prolly 1.5 but worth a look. Ive got a 23' cobra w/ similar power (454mpi) and am running a 24p bravo 1, roughly 5k rpm @WOT. Also @ 5K rpm the 22p should be around 61mph and the 24 should give you roughly 67 (1.5 gears w/ 12% slip).

Boozer
    if you go see richard at the propeller company (http://www.thepropellercompany.com/) in havasu, he will let you try out different props until you find one you like.
    I recommend this place as well. He let me try 4 props before I decided on the one that worked best for me. He's also very knowledgable and willing to take the time to make sure you have what you need.

jojoshow
    Yeah propeller co. is doing mine right now. We have a 27laveycraft cat(496ho) and went from a 24to labbed 26. don't know what the lab will do yet, but moving up to 26 gained appx. 3mph and dropped 400rpms on wot. Try a 24 can't hurt. Think of it as putting bigger tires on your truck. Slower off the line but better top speed. now HP will play the part in it only if it can turn that size prop. It shouldn't have a problem.

4day!!
    i'm in the same boat as you(no pun intended). I have a 25 advantage citation w/the 496 mag (not HO). I too am running a 4 blade 22. I top out at 4800 rpm and on a good day hit maybe 56 mph full tank and 2-3 adults. Last year i borrowed a 4 blade 24 from the prop comp. and lost 200 rpm and dont think i gained any top end. I am wondering if i remove the turbulators if that will get me my 200 rpm back if i put the 24 back on.

Jyruiz
    I have not gone full throttle yet, I was just wondering. I usually cruise between 3k (usually closer to 3k) and 4k rpms, just wondering if I would see more speed in that range. I was also willing to try because my boat planes out pretty quick (even though I take off slow) with 3 kids 2 adults and all of our gear for the day. I do have somebody that will let my try there 24, I will probably take him up on it. I guess another thing I could do is just get my prop tweaked or labbed and see if it does anything.

Ziggy
    I saw you today Juan...........you took off right in front of me.