Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uh oh starter

boats&bars
    hey guys help me out with this one I have a 25 hawaiian w a 454 berk jet harman marine logs , had a small fuel vapor fire on mojave last week but it out in seconds,no one hurt, thank god, but I think the yellow chemical from the extinguisher f' ed something up, I hosed it off as soom as I put it on the trailer about an hour later but it all went to the bilge I am wondering if sloshed on to the starter and corroded the brushes, the next day i went to a coin op and hit the whole motor really good , I have sprayed off the motor before with no problems , now I get it home and it wont crank over , good batterys every thing else works, I dont even know if I can get the starter off without pulling the log off that side any thoughts???????

Legal Chemistry
    try to crank it over and check the voltage on the starter and see if you're getting any juice? Or go staight from the battery into the started, that may work as well.

Big Kahunaa
    hit the starter with a hamer

El Prosecutor
    Just in case - did you check the breaker?

AZKC
    Ck for voltage and check the breaker.

boats&bars
    I have checked the breaker its ok , the starter has juice , the voltage drops really low, when you hit the key, gonna see if I can pull the starter tomorrow , can i PULL IT WITH THE LOG ON????? how many bolts is it I think its only got 2, how much do starters cost????? thank all of you for the help..

bakerjet
    2 bolts, stand on your head and you can do it with the logs on.

james
    I just had this problem a couple of weeks ago. I let my brother in law drive (what a mistake) and he decides to go full speed and crank left. Yes he flooded the back past the starter. I thought if I let it dry for a week all would be good. Im not that lucky. I pulled the back off the old starter and Yes it was rust locked shut. A starter will cost you about $100 to $135. Dont by one from an auto store, The ones they carry dont have the spark arrest like a marine one will. First pull off the back of your old starter I will bet you have the same problem I had.
    James :rollside:

maustin
    I just had the same problem with mine also.They are not kidding about hitting it with a hammer,I just tapped it and it would start.I took the starter off and took it apart.The brush holders were rusty and would not hold the brushes against the rotor.In less than 1/2 hour I cleaned out all the rust and freeded up the brush holders.Also used emery on the rotor, lubed the bushing and reassembled with silicone on ends to seal it .It works like new and cost nothing.

james
    Thats nice I will remember that next time. Because Im sure there will be a next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast