Thread: pump rebuild help...

HotDogz
    Just got all my pump parts back from the powdercoaters and I am trying to put everything back together. Stuffed my 12JC intake with a new shaft bearing, rear seal, and rope packing, nothing else yet. The shaft is now really hard to turn by hand, real tight. The rope seal is the only thing creating drag on the shaft right now, is this normal? How easy should the shaft spin with new seals? 5 old ropes came out and 5 came in my rebuild kit from HTP so 5 went in.
    Looking for a little help on how easy a pump will spin when fresh. When it was rebuilt before we had to break it in for 6 hours.

Duane HTP
    It should turn fairly easy by hand. Don't tighten the packings real tight. Set up all of your shimed clearances, then tighten packing nuts until you feel a slight drag. It's always to better to be a little loose there than too tight. Run it a while and then snug them down again after they have been wet.

HotDogz
    Thanks for the reply, Duane.
    Couldnt get the ropes to seat without having to "pack" em in there to make room for the next rope. I did, however, put the shaft in first and then put the rope seals in. Should it be the other way around? Is there a trade secret to getting these things to fit in there?

Duane HTP
    No secret. Just curve the rope around the shaft. Put the two ends together and start them first. Then the rest just pushes right on in. Piece of cake.
    It's best to stagger the rope ends. First on on top, next on bottom, next on right side, next one on left side, & so on.