Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil pans

auto
    Here's a basic question for the experts among you.
    I've seen in some of the posts that you want to have the right oil pan on a v-drive. I gather this is because the engine is facing flywheel forward so under acceleration the oil shifts to the front of the motor and you get oil starvation?
    I see some mention of Milodon and other pans. Are these special for a boat, or just bigger capacity car pans like you get from the speed shops?

A marine pan with the correct pick up will have the trap doors opening the right way for use in a v-drive. A car pan will have the doors close when you turn the engine around to drive off the flywheel. If you don't use the trap door baffles then all you need is the rear [of boat] pick up.

superdave013
    auto:
    Here's a basic question for the experts among you.
    I've seen in some of the posts that you want to have the right oil pan on a v-drive. I gather this is because the engine is facing flywheel forward so under acceleration the oil shifts to the front of the motor and you get oil starvation?Yes, you are correct.
    I see some mention of Milodon and other pans. Are these special for a boat, or just bigger capacity car pans like you get from the speed shops?[/QUOTE]
    Yes they are special pans. Like 058 said, the baffles are backwards from an auto or jet boat pan. Don't even skimp with this. It's not a place to save a buck or 2.
    Now if your boat is set up like the circle racers do it with the drive line hooked to the balancer then a jet boat/auto pan will work.

smalls
    Milodon P/N: 31300 Is the milodon pan you may be looking for. Check it out at www.milodon.com

auto
    Thanks for the info. I checked the Milodon site for marine pans. Looks like $400 or so for the pan and extras needed to do the job right. No wonder the Sanger I looked at had a car pan! But..it seems pretty silly to use an inadequate part, and spend all kinds of money on the rest of the motor, especially when it involves the oiling system.
    I just learned a big lesson on the cheap. Thanks everyone.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Well I have two V-Drives. I have run the hell out of my 66 Stevens. When I built the motor I had never seen a V-Drive pan. So I bought a brand new Chrome pan. I have never had a problem. I do run one extra qaurt of oil in it.
    The Schiada has a regular pan also. That runs like 60 psi. For $400 bucks Id have to give it alot of thought.
    It does make sense because the oil is headed the wrong way. Maybe Im just lucky.... wink

smalls
    That's good money spent.

Dans66Stevens:
    [QB]Well I have two V-Drives. I have run the hell out of my 66 Stevens. When I built the motor I had never seen a V-Drive pan. So I bought a brand new Chrome pan. D I have never had a problem. I do run one extra qaurt of oil in it.
    The Schiada has a regular pan also. That runs like 60 psi. For $400 bucks Id have to give it alot of thought.
    It does make sense because the oil is headed the wrong way. Maybe Im just lucky.... wink [/QB Most people have no problem spending thousands on a killer engine that makes a ton of HP so why would they cut corners at this point and hang a cheap pan on it to save a few bucks? A good pan and pick-up is about the best insurance you can invest in.

superdave013
    Well we have another board member that ran an auto style pan. He just kicked the rods out of his engine. Now he doesnot think that was the reason as he watched his gauge. But did he always watch it?? I mean he had to watch where he was going sometimes too.
    How long would you have to loose oil pressure to hurt an engine?? I don't know but I bet if you are running 4,000 RPM it wouldn't take long (ie. faster then you could shut it off).

At 4000 rpms and above damage begins before it shows on the guage. And who the hell watches the guage all the time anyway? Kinda takes all the fun out of boating if all you do is watch the oil pressure guage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast