Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blower problem

needforspeed2
    I NEED SOME HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a 25ft baja that had a stock 330hp 454 last year that ran 69 mph at 4950rpms with a 23p three blade prop...
    This year I now have 250 power charger with a dean nickerson 980cfm carb and a merc V-6 ING. running 5pd boost with a 26p four blade prop thats showing 58mph at 5200rpm just past half throttle with no triming .. we put a tach style timming light on it . and the two tachs are very close .. and the prop a solid hub ...but the boat still shows to be turn to many rpms ... please help if you can thanks

ODDD1
    Someting dont add up......unless that powercharger weighs 2 tons....

superdave013
    What kind of ing? A merc V6 on a 454? I think that's pretty good for two plugs with out any spark.

XPLDAVID
    Your 69 mph @ 4950 rpms and a 23P prop does not add up. I have a 22ft Baja with a 454 Mag engine and 23P Marage plus Prop. On a very good GPS and @ 5000 rpms it will run 66-67 mph at best. I do not understand the V-6 Ing.?. I am considering a blower for my boat if any one has any recomendations.
    Thanks
    David
    [This message has been edited by XPLDAVID (edited May 29, 2001).]

ponponracing
    The Merc V6 ignition is excellent for a blower application. It gives a short and quick advance curve and it is the first choice in high-perf. application.
    With this box, you should reach full advance around 2500 rpm.

needforspeed2
    i just want to say thanks for all the help ..
    it was a loose wire at the alt. that made the tach not read right .. the boat will now run 78mph at 5100 rpm at 4 1/2 pounds boost with a 25 pitch 3 blade ... 84 mph with nos .
    again thanks for the help the now happy boat guy

mike cima
    hay whats up guys i also owen a baja 92 260 sport i just bought a 250 holley-b&m blower 2 750 carbs msd ign crane gold rockers emi manifolds s/s crossover. its all sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.And im bigning to think what the **** have i done i spent 5000.00 dollers so far and ever time i click on a web sight all i hear is blower related problems this boat did 64 soild all day long no problem all i had to wary ahout was gas food and beer. if any one could please send me any info like timing how much advace to use fuel pressure to run any info at all like do i use a thermostat do i need a extra oil cooler msd info with spring to use with bushing to use.please send help and is it wherth it.

Havasu Hangin'
    Hey Mike,
    Just a heads up- easy on the language- the webmaster could pull your post.
    Don't worry- lot's of happy huffers out there- they just don't need to post if they don't have problems. As far as fuel and ignition curves, you're right on to get those set right. Otherwise, could be BIG problems. Those areas you mentioned are critical. If set up wrong, you could have a $5,000 anchor.
    You didn't mention which engine or fuel pump you have. Do you have an oil cooler now? ponponracing can probably help you with the thermostat question.
    Fuel and ignition curves will vary engine to engine. My advise would be to get them professionally set. That way all you have to worry about is the price of beer.
    Oh yeah, it's worth it.

ponponracing
    Run the motor without a thermostat unless you're living in Artic. Keep the water pressure between 7 and 15 pds, 15 being a max. You have to tun the engine cool if you use boost, but if you rarely go on boost, you may use a 140*F thermostat. Set the engine according to the way you are going to use it.
    If you don't pay attention to your words selection, nobody will answer you.

formula93
    I run a 93 formula 252SS Mercruiser HP454-450hp with a Procharger @5# boost, intercooler, Nickerson Performance flowed Holley 750/4150 carb (jets 96 squared primary & secondary), Aeroquip fuel pump & regulator, 13# fuel pressure under full boost, 7.5-8# static at idle pressure, Thunderbolt ignition module with Jacobs Marine Multimaster ignition system and wires, 140 degree thermostat ( results-180 degree oil temp, 150-160 degree water temp, intercooler water is ice cold). You need some temp in the motor to get the clearances right & oil to flow well !! Runs great & never a problem with the engine or blower, I just keep making changes....just added external Marine Machine (Mayfair) steering & a nosecone. Top speed last year @ 105 degree ambient temp in Oklahoma was 75mph@5200rpm on GPS. Speed was still climbing but control was an issue hence adding the steering and nosecone. Still working on it tho'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast