Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 Cole TR-2

AngryJosh
    ALSO...the person I bought the boat from did quite a bit of research and actually talked with Mr.Cole. Apparently this boat was built for the owner of Jacuzzi jets and taken to the east coast for testing purposes. It ended up back on the west coast with its current setup. It does in fact have the runner bottom!!!!!!!!!! And towards the very back it turns into a very shallow V. Does this sound like a panther bottom? I'd like to know.
    Heres the PM that was sent to me on this boat..I'm withholding the names to protect the innocent, since Marty-Gras wants to hurt people over this thread...
    I have been in the process of substaniating s/p it. it was told to me about 5 years ago and I went to Coles shop and this is what I was told.
    Sitting in his shop he pulled out some pictures of this hull being pulled from the plug and rigged up. Same Hull id on the picture as yours. He told me that he takes pictures of every boat that he made. He went on to tell me that this boat was built for the owner of Jacuzzi jets, and moved the hull back east to do some testing on intakes, pumps, motors etc...
    Now here is why I started to believe what I was told. if you look underneath the boat you can see holes where a different intake was used. When you take of the transom adaptor off you will also see some filled holes.
    I went on for years trying to track down the history of this boat and really came to a dead end.
    My buddy who was interested in buying it has been looking for a hull like yours for a long time. He was telling me that the bottom is not anything like the others of the same make and year. It has to do with the skag that is mid-hull. I know that there are not that many Cole jet hulls out there, but he has found two of them and they have totall different bottoms then yours. This is what started my looking into it again. I have been talking with a guy in florida that bought a couple of molds from Jim Cole and is currently producing new boats. They are tracking down more of the history. I will keep you updated.

Cole Trickle
    Nice boat!!
    I would think someone that was about to drive 800miles would have looked at the first picture and noticed that it was a jet.
    On a side note do any of the experts know what kind of boat I have?(I don't want to be wrong when I list it for sale)
    I know it's a slow Jet (Mid 80's)
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/2491cole.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../2491cole2.JPG

Marty Gras
    "Josh" just because someone blew smoke up your ass doesn't make the smoke true. It's a "Pantera Jet" right off of a "Hondo Pantera Jet" with the little spoiler added to make it a Cole. (ask Mike Brendell of ski boat fame) The "turn fin" was needed to make it turn, just like the Hondo, DiMarco, Brendella, and others of the same bottom design. "Cole Trickle" your boat looks like it is one of the first "lower deck 20's" and was layed up at Joe's Tooling in Burbank Calif. Another boat builder had Joe's laying up his "20' " boat at the same time. Cole printed a nice brochure showing YOUR BOAT along with another (red, silver, and orange outboard) as his offerings. On the next few pages he had pictures showing "20SS" boats that were 2 1/2" taller and not from the same mold as your boat. Somehow Cole had "used" another mold to produce a few boats and then 'magically make his own NEW DESIGN' ! You have a nice fast boat, and it should bring great money to you right after the first 'test drive'. Please don't get angry, just investigate my words and see for yourselves. Just remember, Joe's also did the SAME HULL DESIGN FOR HIGH TECH MARINE without any conscience, just cash!

djunkie
    "Josh" just because someone blew smoke up your ass doesn't make the smoke true. It's a "Pantera Jet" right off of a "Hondo Pantera Jet" with the little spoiler added to make it a Cole. (ask Mike Brendell of ski boat fame) The "turn fin" was needed to make it turn, just like the Hondo, DiMarco, Brendella, and others of the same bottom design. "Cole Trickle" your boat looks like it is one of the first "lower deck 20's" and was layed up at Joe's Tooling in Burbank Calif. Another boat builder had Joe's laying up his "20' " boat at the same time. Cole printed a nice brochure showing YOUR BOAT along with another (red, silver, and orange outboard) as his offerings. On the next few pages he had pictures showing "20SS" boats that were 2 1/2" taller and not from the same mold as your boat. Somehow Cole had "used" another mold to produce a few boats and then 'magically make his own NEW DESIGN' ! You have a nice fast boat, and it should bring great money to you right after the first 'test drive'. Please don't get angry, just investigate my words and see for yourselves. Just remember, Joe's also did the SAME HULL DESIGN FOR HIGH TECH MARINE without any conscience, just cash!
    Damm bro, who pee'd in your cheerios?

Cole Trickle
    [QUOTE=Marty Gras "Cole Trickle" your boat looks like it is one of the first "lower deck 20's" and was layed up at Joe's Tooling in Burbank Calif. Another boat builder had Joe's laying up his "20' " boat at the same time. Cole printed a nice brochure showing YOUR BOAT along with another (red, silver, and orange outboard) as his offerings. On the next few pages he had pictures showing "20SS" boats that were 2 1/2" taller and not from the same mold as your boat. Somehow Cole had "used" another mold to produce a few boats and then 'magically make his own NEW DESIGN' ! You have a nice fast boat, and it should bring great money to you right after the first 'test drive'. Please don't get angry, just investigate my words and see for yourselves. Just remember, Joe's also did the SAME HULL DESIGN FOR HIGH TECH MARINE without any conscience, just cash![/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the info
    Any idea what years they were made and how many lower decks were produced?
    Also where might someone find a copy of the brochure showing the boat?(If you have a copy perhaps you could scan it and email it to me?)

NautiTwins
    Josh,
    Have you looked at the title on the boat?

AngryJosh
    Yes, it just says its a Cole, and gives the size and class

NautiTwins
    Yes, it just says its a Cole, and gives the size and class
    It should say Firestar on there somewhere. Look at the bill of sale I gave you when I bought the boat.

AngryJosh
    It doesnt say it on the title, but I will check your bill of sale from when you bought the boat. But when you sold it to me I'm sure you listed it as a TR-2...correct? Truthfully, I couldnt give a crap. Freakin TR-2, starfire, Firestar, panther, puma, cougar...whatever. Its a Cole t-deck you bastards :crossx:

NautiTwins
    It doesnt say it on the title, but I will check your bill of sale from when you bought the boat. But when you sold it to me I'm sure you listed it as a TR-2...correct?
    Nope!!! I was just looking for that thread to verify it but I can not seem to find it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast