Thread: Merlin Block?

JDB
    Hey guys
    Are there any differences between a Merlin BBC Block and a 540 BBC Block? Do they have the same bolt patterns so I can use my existing accessories on the new Merlin block....will they simply bolt right on? What are the advantages of a Merlin?
    Thanks

Infomaniac
    The Merlin block works with Gen IV GM components. Will not accept Gen V or VI components.
    The advantage is it has the updated oiling system of the late model GM blocks. And works with Gen IV components.

WannabeRacing
    Advantages of a merlin are HUGE. Mostly just stronger, thicker walls, more precision, better material, lugs for the extra two head bolts, splayed caps, dual starter patterns, nicer provisions for dry sump, external oil pumps, and better oiling systems.
    Now, is this a merlin, a merlin II, or a merlin III? All are different.
    Yes, a merlin will bolt on to any mark four stuff.

MBMOSEBILT
    I would go with the DART Big "M". I have had great luck with mine a realy nice piece. Stronger, billet splayed main caps, 10.2 deck height. I like the quality a lot more than a Merlin. Still a good block but the DART is realy a cut above.

WannabeRacing
    Please tell me that you are joking? Right?!
    A Dart - Better than a Merlin pro? A real good debate could be waged that a Big M is better than a Merlin II or III, but on no planet are the Big Ms better that a real Merlin. I own three big M blocks. They are great blocks, but a merlin pro, they will never be.