Thread: 2 sets of drive buttons

why do i have 2 sets of buttons to raise my drive? there is one set on the dash and one on the throttle control. :idea:

RidinRed
    Dash mount is for raise/lower (faster), Throttle is for trimming purposes (slower action) and is more precise adjustments. Use it and see how the boat reacts.

TIMINATOR
    Throttle mount is for while the motor is running and underway, it has a limited travel to keep from hurting the u-joints. The dash control allows much more up trim, not for trimming but for trailering with the engine off. Most boats won't start in the trailer up position. You must trim down to the actual trim/run position. TIMINATOR

thanks for the infomation

h2oski2fast
    Dash mount is for raise/lower (faster), Throttle is for trimming purposes (slower action) and is more precise adjustments. Use it and see how the boat reacts.
    Ummmmmm, no. But I heard it Hot Boat so it must be true.

Havasu47
    Throttle mount is for while the motor is running and underway, it has a limited travel to keep from hurting the u-joints. The dash control allows much more up trim, not for trimming but for trailering with the engine off. Most boats won't start in the trailer up position. You must trim down to the actual trim/run position. TIMINATOR
    Correct except for the starting thing. They will start with the drive in any position. There is a neutral safety switch in the shift control to keep it from starting in gear.

TIMINATOR
    I've seen 'em both ways. Current and last boats wouldn't start in trailer mode, older ones would. TIMINATOR

Havasu47
    Not wanting to argue but Mercruiser has never put any type of switch that would keep the engine from starting in trailer mode. The only thing is recently with DTS and SmartCraft they will go into Guardian mode and not allow the engine to go over 2000 RPM's when above the trim limit.
    I would be interested to know how the ones you have seen incorporated some sort of interupt switch. The trim limit could be used as an ignition type interupt but would not be reliable and would not have any trim limit???

BadKachina
    Not wanting to argue but Mercruiser has never put any type of switch that would keep the engine from starting in trailer mode. The only thing is recently with DTS and SmartCraft they will go into Guardian mode and not allow the engine to go over 2000 RPM's when above the trim limit.
    I would be interested to know how the ones you have seen incorporated some sort of interupt switch. The trim limit could be used as an ignition type interupt but would not be reliable and would not have any trim limit???
    Some older boats have a reverse lockout switch on the shifter bracket to prevent you from engaging reverse and pulling your boat off the trailer while trimmed in the trailer position. The system isn't made any more so when I find a bad or leaking one I bypass it all together with new lines to the transom and change the bracket to the new style.

Havasu47
    Some older boats have a reverse lockout switch on the shifter bracket to prevent you from engaging reverse and pulling your boat off the trailer while trimmed in the trailer position. The system isn't made any more so when I find a bad or leaking one I bypass it all together with new lines to the transom and change the bracket to the new style.
    The old drives had a reverse lock assy. because the old trim pumps had no way to lock the hydraulic fluid and keep the drive from raising in reverse. Th reverse valve lock assy kept the fluid in the trim cylinders while in reverse from returning to the trim pump and allowing the drive to raise up.