Thread: 2.4l bp efi timing

timebomb1
    This last week I was pulling my son and some friends around on a tube. My motor sounded a little off. I came home and check the timing, I noticed I was not getting the full 25 degrees of max advance. I can move the advance arm against the stop and then I will get the 25 degrees, but just moving the throttle arm full forward I cannot get it. I have checked the routing of the trigger wiring, and it is as it should be. The only thing different about this motor is it has a Simonmotorsports alternator. The wiring for the trigger and the stator run under the mounting brackets. I pulled the flywheel and stator off, looked at the trigger, cleaned the pad where the trigger sets, cleaned the trigger assy, lubed the throttle arm assy, still not enough advance. Any Ideas?????? Gary

h2oski2fast
    Sounds like the problem is in the linkage. If you can manually move the arm and goes to full advance then must being something with the linkage setup.

DUCKY
    Check the pivot bolt on the throttle arm. If the bolt has magically gotten too tight it will prevent full advance. I usually put them in with red loctite, just a little past finger tight.

timebomb1
    Figured it out, the spring inside the lever was really weak. Put another one on and now I have my full advance. I have had the pivot bolt come all the way out before so I check it regularly. Red loctite is the ticket. Gary