Thread: Distributor Vacuum Advance - Where Connect?

Avenger 1975
    Where do I connect the vacuum from my distributor, is it to the intake manifold or to the base of the carb? I've been running without it connected, the motor seems to be running well but I assume I'll run better on the top end with it connected. I haven't checked total advance yet so not sure what I'm getting with just the mechanical advance.

YeLLowBoaT
    I have always been told to leave it disconnected in a boat. Something about the motor is never under a strong "load" so the "signal"( vaccum) does not really change that much.
    Every boat I have ever owned with a "car" motor in it has had it disconnected.
    I could be wrong, just what I have been told

MikeF
    It is not needed on a boat application......but if one was to connect it, it would go to the barb on the metering block on a holley....not to manifold vacuum. The barb has vacuum "only" when the throttle blades are open. (which is when the vacuum advance it supposed to be working.....not at idle)

SmokinLowriderSS
    That barb is the place to go, but it HAS vaccume at idle, just as it should. It's below the butterflies. Functionally I doubt either location makes a difference, but the barb is where it is intended to be plugged in. Coprrect size and all. A vac advance advances timing at idle, that is why you have to disconnect it when timing at idle, it reduces timing as RPM climbs, and HP & Torque climb (by happenstance) and while centrifugal advance take over.
    On a prop boat, especially a fairly heavy one, I think it might be useful. On a jet, not worth a darn.

Avenger 1975
    Thanks, guys. I'll connect it once just to see if I notice any difference, then will likely leave it disconnected.

Moneypitt
    Thanks, guys. I'll connect it once just to see if I notice any difference, then will likely leave it disconnected.
    OK, but don't take it off the distributor. The V/A arm is what holds the breaker plate in place..........MP