Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busted rudder

HAVASANGER
    I was taking my brother for a ride in my 18' Sanger hydro three weeks ago, and the wind was kicking up the water on Havasu, so we headed up river, about 5 miles from the launch ramp to speed alley, for some smoother water. I was up to about 85 when I tried to turn a little, and it wasn't turning. I got the thing slowed down before we hit the reeds, jumped out in waist deep water, felt underneath, and my rudder was gone! So I figured I'd call my wife to launch her 26' Caribbean to tow us home, when I realized my cell phone was in my pocket, under a foot of water. We started idling back, using my paddle to steer, but that was taking too long, so I tried getting it up on plane. It went pretty straight, just hooking to the right a little. So we'd go about a quarter mile, slow down and turn it left with the paddle, then go again. Made it back no problem. Does anybody have a used wedge type rudder (1" shaft) for sale?

GofastRacer
    Dude, do you want this to happen again??, you were lucky!..I broke a rudder in a turn before, no fun!!...Buy a new one!!!, A used one could be as tired as the one you just broke!, think about it....Just my .02 worth..... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif

superdave013
    Originally posted by GofastRacer:
    Dude, do you want this to happen again??, you were lucky!..I broke a rudder in a turn before, no fun!!...Buy a new one!!!, A used one could be as tired as the one you just broke!, think about it....Just my .02 worth..... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif
    That's right, get a new one. Contact Doug Barber @ Barber Welding 562 928-2570
    His rudders are the shit. All heat treated and very nice. I can't remember what I paid but it was not that bad.

superdave013
    Oh, you're a lucky SOB you didn't crash that thing!

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by superdave013:
    That's right, get a new one. Contact Doug Barber @ Barber Welding 562 928-2570
    His rudders are the shit. All heat treated and very nice. I can't remember what I paid but it was not that bad.
    Shit,who cares about the price, beats goin on your ass at 80 plus!!!.....LOL........

superdave013
    Originally posted by GofastRacer:
    Shit,who cares about the price, beats goin on your ass at 80 plus!!!.....LOL........
    You would be supprised.

stressedout
    Are you sure it broke? Maybe it droppped out. I have seen this happen. Always check everything to be sure it's tight.Was it chrome plated? When you get another one make sure it's not chrome, so you can check it for cracks. Good Luck

63stevens
    Barber Welding has been making rudders for years. Doug's dad made rudders for Hallcraft many years ago. Infact my dad used to help Doug's dad build rudders years ago. The rudder I have on my 63 stevens was built by Barber Welding. Mine is made of Stainless. I'm not sure that's what you want but you might ask Doug how a stainless rudder would hold up under your situation.

Bluefin
    I have a brass rudder that I would let go at a reasonable price. Say $40.00. Em mdc@csdidaho.com Thanks Mike

pgf127rt
    If the rudder had fallen out of the boat and not broken off it would have sunk the boat in a flash, ever had one leak just a little?
    [This message has been edited by pgf127rt (edited May 16, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast