Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with distributor. Need your advice.

stashtrey
    I've been having problems with my engine recently. I narrowed things down to either my fuel system or my distributor/ignition.
    I just installed a fuel pressure guage but haven't had a chance to run the boat.
    I remembered a while back when I took out my old breaker plate/points and converted to electronic..... I noticed a spring was disconnected under the breaker plate.
    Today I took the distributor apart and sure enough... one of the springs that attaches to the mechanical advance weight is broken.
    Could this be what was causing my boat to nose over and lose power at around 3800 rpm's? Would the absence of one of those springs cause the timing to be off at higher rpm's?
    The motor runs fine at idle, starts okay and pulls a little out of the hole but once I get the throttle down it just gives up. The engine doesn't die.... just has no power and sounds terrible at high rpm's.
    So... I'm trying to figure out if I can find a new set of springs to replace the old ones in my distributor..... or am I going to have to find a new distributor all together?
    I'd rather just find a new spring and slap it in there if possible.

Moneypitt
    The timing curve in a boat is somewhat forgiving when compared to a vehicle. The "curve" is not as critical, meaning that as the Rs come up the timing advances along with it to a certain point, and maintains that level. A good ballpark RPM is 3000, and around 32-36 degrees "total" advance. Check yours NOW, see where it is before changing anything. Using a dial back light, bring the Rs up to 3K and set the timing at 32*. After that, while watching with the light, bring the Rs to 3500, and see if the timing went above 32*. If it did find a new spring set, or a different dist, if it didn't test the boat again. Some performance boats run "locked" out timing, meaning it is at full advance, 37*-42* all the time.... Oh, and also check the float level in the carb(s), low float settings will do the same thing you're talking about. MP

gochappy
    isn't there a whole bag of colored springs that came with that thing and you put in the color for your use?

502 JET
    Who knows what the timing was doing without the springs attched.If you checked the timing with a light you would have seen it jumping all over. I would sh*t can that distributor and get a new one.

stashtrey
    I checked the timing last weekend... while the spring was broken. The timing stayed steady and was set at 35 at around 3000 rpm's.
    The funny thing is that the boat fires up well..... sounds good..... I can ram the throttle and the engine responds promptly and sounds good. I can sit with the engine at around 3000 rpm's and it sounds excellent and will run all day like that.
    It's just when I floor it... the boat just loses all power. I can cruise along at 3000-3500 rpms and it sounds just fine.... but if I push it down for more power... there's nothing there. The engine starts to crap out.
    After reading Moneypitt's comments.... I'm beginning to think that it's for sure a fuel delivery issue. Either the pump or some debris clogging my fuel pickups.
    I fired it up for a minute about 10 minutes ago and the fuel pressure read right at around 4-5 psi......
    I'm lost.

502 JET
    Run the boat in the water and check the fuel pressure when the boat falls on its face.Install a clear in line fuel filter and see if you are drawing air or if it runs dry.

Moneypitt
    4-5 is low. It should be around 6-7 at idle,(least demand), and MAYBE drop down to 4-5 under heavy demand. Another thing, when you turn it off does the fuel pressure drop instantly, or remain for awhile? It should remain for at least a couple of minutes...........If not, it is a sign of a weak pump and it should be replaced...........
    I don't think your problem is in the dist. although it may have some issues, this problem isn't one of them.............MP

stashtrey
    The pressure stayed for maybe 30-45 seconds. Good to know that the pressure at idle is too low. I hope it's just a matter of replacing the fuel pump.
    Thanks!

Moneypitt
    If you posted pump info I missed it. What pump, tank(s), pick ups, etc etc............AND where is the filter in relation to the gauge? ..........MP

stashtrey
    Money-
    Mechanical pump. The tanks are original in my 18' '77 Spectra. Fiberglass/fire retardent. There is no leaking or fuel smell from the tanks. I can't access the pickups. All I have is a brass elbow out of each tank that the fuel lines connect to.
    The fuel lines from the tank meet at the rear of the boat and go into an AC fuel filter. I just replaced the filter with a Wix... then one line from the filter to the fuel pump.
    I replaced all fuel lines.
    The pressure gauge is right before the carb. I just put that in today.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast