Thread: Carb question.....

'78 gt boat
    Ok, here's my deal. I have a 460 BBF built by Lakes Only which is a great motor. The carb I bought from Stahle Performance as a rebuild. Its a 780CFM Holley marine carb. What is happening is when I leave the boat for about a week or so without driving it when it first starts it sputters and spits for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. I have to hold the RPM to 2k for that period of time. After that 30 sec. to 1 minute timeframe the RPM's come up and the sputtering stops and everything is fine. Do you guys think it's jetting or timing issue??

jkh04200
    Sounds like a fuel problem to me

Moneypitt
    1) Does it have a choke? 2) Is the exhaust pleninum heating crossover blocked off or not there. (aftermarket intakes may not have it).........Sounds like a typical hiperf engine. Cold starts are not necessarily high priority. If it runs and performs well after that 1 minute or so, live with it, call it "cold natured" ...........MP

LakesOnly
    I have a 460 BBF...The carb...a 780CFM Holley marine...when I leave the boat for about a week or so without driving it when it first starts it sputters and spits for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. I have to hold the RPM to 2k for that period of time. After that 30 sec. to 1 minute timeframe the RPM's come up and the sputtering stops and everything is fine. I'll bet it's a lean condtion. Your spark plugs may confirm this.
    If your engine is currently that lean, then I'll bet there is quite a bit more power to be found in it after some carb jet optimzation.
    Rob, we once talked about possibly dropping your boat into Anderson or somewhere else nearby; I'll look around for possible time/place at the local reservoirs and try to fit a tune-day in with ya...maybe a week from next Sat or next available after that.
    LO
    PS: Moneypitt makes a good point; knowing the details of this build, I just suspect their may be a little more "pleasure boat convenience" that may be dialed into it.

502 JET
    Check your powervalves.If they are blown out fuel will leak into the engine and load it up.

LakesOnly
    Well '78, just got lucky over here.
    I managed a reservation for 2 boats (yours and mine) at Anderson Reservoir on Saturday, August 19 with a 10:00 a.m. launch. Hope you can make it, because I am racing in Kentucky the next w/e and after that will not have time for this again for weeks or even months.
    I just put a set of heads on my jet boat so I will have a bit of test & tune of my own. Let me know asap if you can make this outing. If you can, then we'll take some time to dial your motor in, too. If you cannot make it, let me know asap so that I can give the 2nd reservation to someone else.
    (In case anyone else is interested, there are a few more reservations still available on that day if we want to make this a little party...please note that the county ranger will require baffles and probably ask us to turn north after lauching at the dam...since there are no homes on the lake in that area).
    Give me a call, Rob.
    LO
    p.s.: wow I am acually going to get one of of my boats into the water this year...

'78 gt boat
    Sounds like a plan. I currently have my boat at Discovery Bay Yaht Harbor in dry storage. I will make arrangements to get it either that Friday in the evening or the first thing Saturday morning at 8:00am so I can get it on the trailer and to Anderson before 10:00. I'll give you a call a little later and thanks for the help.

LakesOnly
    So we are on for NOT this Saturday, but 1 week from this Saturday, the 19th. Cool.
    My jet boat fired with the new heads yesterday. So, one boat down (jet), one more to go (hydro) (stop right there, Fiat! ).
    LO

'78 gt boat
    Yes we are on for the 19th at 10am. Congrats on the jet firing up. Look forward to seeing it on the water.