Thread: hepl!!!!455???says buick is this same as olds

capt.murph
    going to look at a 455 buick what are the diffrences if any between the olds 455&buick 455.can get a good deal on it.but only a good deal if it will work.had hard time findin a455 true olds.any info would be great.

rerfert
    Been a few years but no they are different in many ways.

QuickJet
    Everything is different except the bolt pattern where the bellhousing bolts up. Biggest giveaway is the front distributor on the Buick. I think the Buick had a bigger bore less stroke similar top the Chevy whereas the Olds had smaller bore and bigger strokes. Same with the Pontiacs (small bore big stroke). Headers will need to change and such. Why not put a Chevy in it if you have to change everything anyways?
    Just askin not debating.

poncho-pwr
    Definitely different.
    Buick 455 = 4.312"bore X 3.90"stroke
    Olds 455 = 4.126"bore X 4.25"stroke
    Pontiac 455 = 4.152"bore X 4.21"stroke
    If you want to build a 455 and run something other than a Chevy it will be easiest to do with a Pontiac as far as after market parts availability and engine design. The Pontiac doesn't have the issues that the olds and Buick motors have and can be built to live in a harsh constant use environment without breaking the bank and depending on how much power you want to make it can be built for the same amount of money as a Chevy or Ford.

flatassbroke
    Can log manifolds be found for the pontiac? I have one in the garage and always wondered..... Now that im thinking about it, there is a big block pontiac 400 out there also, came out of an old pontiac gran prix[75 I think]for a stock production car it made a TON of HP! Significantly more than the car the 455 came out of.

Old Guy

capt.murph
    thanks alot .save me$$$$and time still no luck finding a 455 but mt buddy has a 350 olds.i tried my original 455 exhaust tonite bolted right up oil pan also bolted up to the 350 olds.gonna stick it in and run it for the summer hopefuly till i can get another big block455 .ill keep everyone posted.

PAINELES
    Hey capt Im in the same (hmmm) boat as you lookin to rebuild my olds 455 an looking for something to run for now did that 350 rocket work for ya
    keep us posted

malcolm
    Olds are nice in the fact that they are pretty much the same. The big blocks just have a wider intake manifold. The pan and exhaust and a lot of other stuff will interchange between them. The only snag I found when going down to the small block was my 455 had an oil filter relocator on it. On the small block it would hit the right log. I just had to use the stock filter base and stand on my head to change the oil.

PAINELES
    Thanks malcolm that helps a bunch I found a running 350 on craigslist for 100 bucks gonna get it tomrrow
    that makes my night