Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing question

BBB
    OK, I'm really showing my ignorance here so go easy on me... which way do you rotate the distributor to advance/retard the timing? ( jet, BBC with dist at the rear) It's been many, many years since I've messed with motors...
    When I finally got my boat out this year I pulled the distributor to spin up the oil pump. Usually I'm very careful to put the distributor back in exactly as it came out. When I got to the lake and fired up the boat it took a lot of cranking to get it to lite up and it was running pretty rough. I couldn't get it to run up to it's usual 5,200rpm, it wouldn't get past 4,800. I think I may have skipped a tooth when putting the disty back in? Does this sound plausible to you all?
    I'm running a 454 with a Vortech blower, MSD ignition and Accel EFI. I've never had to mess with anything on this set up before, it always fired up right away.
    Thanks for your help.

Daytona100
    Advance counter clockwise retard clockwise.

BBB
    Thanks D100, That's what I thought. So...if you had to guess based on my description, would you think that I need to advance my timing?

Daytona100
    Thanks D100, That's what I thought. So...if you had to guess based on my description, would you think that I need to advance my timing?
    Pull #1 plug put on TDC on comp stroke pull dist cap and see where the rotor is pointing. And adjust accordingly. Then set timing and have some fun.

hondajoey
    if you have it to far advanced it wont start very easy, try backing it off a touch and see if it starts easier

GofastRacer
    If you don't know how much lead you have in the distributor, set #1 on TDC and put it in at zero, put a light on it fire it up and set the total at 32 to start and go from there!..

BBB
    Thanks for all the great info but can I get a little clarification on some things?
    GoFastRacer "If you don't know how much lead you have in the distributor, set #1 on TDC and put it in at zero, put a light on it fire it up and set the total at 32 to start and go from there!.." What is meant by 'set the TOTAL at 32'? Do I just zero everything out at TDC, hook up the light, start the motor, advance the disty until it's on 32 and I'm done? (BTW, I have a MSD distributor if that adds anything to the equation?)
    Also, does the MSD-6M control any of the timing adjustments? I mean it has a knock sensor so doesn't it retard/advance timing on it's own to some level?
    And finally, just to make sure I'm not missing anything if I'm facicing the water pump side of the motor with the disty at the opposite end which one is #1 cylinder?
    I may be making this more complicated than it really is, I have a tendency to do that...

jkh04200
    BBB,
    32 total is the sum of the crank advance, this is what you read on the timing tab and balancer and the mechanincal or electronic advance you have in the dist. EX. If you set the mark of the balancer at 8 whn the engine is idling, that is 8 digrees initial timing. Then race the motor, while you watch the timing mark with a timing light until the mark stops moving. This movement of the timing mark on the balancer while the enging is revved up is the amount of timing advance you have in the distributor. You'll probably have to race the motor to atleast 2500 rpm before the mechanical advance is fully in. YOu'll know its fully in because the timing mark quits climbing. Lets say that it quits climbing after it advances 24 degrees.
    8 degrees initial plus 24 degrees dist. advacne equals 32 total.
    Now to be able to tell how many degrees it moves you'll either have to have your balancer marked with tape. Or measure out the balancer, or if you don't have one buy a timing light that will do it for you.

BBB
    OK, so if I were to zero out the disty with#1 at TDC, hook up the light start the motor and rev it up until the mark stopped moving, would that tell me how much mechanical advance I had?.. If it turns out to be say 24 would I then advance the distributor another 8 (to get my initial advance) for a total of 32?
    If I'm facing the water pump which one is #1 cylinder?

Cas
    BBB,
    I've always set the static timing at 10º btdc just cuz the engine will usually fire right off without any issues. It's also a safe number to start at for your total advance.
    Just as the others have said, pull the #1 plug and bring the piston up on the compression stroke to TDC then back the timing mark to 10º. If you're confident enough, just stop the timing mark at 10 when you're rotating the engine around.
    Also as others have mentioned, timing tape on the balancer or an adjustable timing light is best to check the total. The timing light is the better way as the timing tape usually won't last too long. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, check out the ones they have. I bought one on sale 3 years ago on the way out to the lake, $15.99. I figured if it worked on that one trip I'd be a real happy boater. 3 years later and probably 30 uses (loaned it out a few times), it's still going strong

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast