Thread: Sealed Starter?

Just curious. My starter has been puked by the wet environment and salt water. It's an standard starter in an open engine bay (I know, not marine rated).
    Are the marine starters worth the extra $$ for sealing or is it mostly tied to the electrical/spark/fumes issue they're designed to address. I got 3 years out of the old one and for the cost, it's not a big deal but it unfortunately takes an act of God to get it out and reinstalled in there. Damn near easier to pull the motor....
    Thanks everybody........John

quiet riot
    I just used a lifetime warranty starter from shucks and sealed the ends with a bit of silicone. Worked great for many years, then I went with a high torque starter for my current motor due to higher comp ratio and did the same with it.
    The marine starters that I remember had either a rubber end gasket that didn't seal very well or nothing at all different than there automotive counterparts. Things may have changed as its been a few years since I worked at a marina.
    jd

HM
    I just used a lifetime warranty starter from shucks and sealed the ends with a bit of silicone. Worked great for many years, then I went with a high torque starter for my current motor due to higher comp ratio and did the same with it.
    The marine starters that I remember had either a rubber end gasket that didn't seal very well or nothing at all different than there automotive counterparts. Things may have changed as its been a few years since I worked at a marina.
    jd
    The marine starters don't have an exposed electrical circuit. They are not meant to be sealed from water, they are designed not to provide a spark in the bilge.

Gotcha guys. I figured the marine were mostly different in the spark area. I'll try the silicone idea. Thanks

Just plunked in a new one and am back up and running. One thing I did that worked slick is to put a tiny piece of masking tape on the starter where the bolts stick through. That way the bolts were held in place long enough for me to get them in position. Once there I picked the two pieces off and slid her into place. Slick as a whistle. Try it sometime.