Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loosing oil presure

sam1
    The oil presure drops with more rpm. It acts like if low on oil but it not.
    Any ideas why?

deltaAce
    Mechanical or electric gauge, oil viscosity, filter type? A boat you just got or it was o.k. till?

sam1
    It a machanial gauge and using 20-50w oil and K&N fiter.I loses the motor last year (broken roller lifter) so it a new motor It's a 460 ford.I just charge the oil pump last week and no help.The only changes between the two engines was the cam,lifter,springs and the oil pan was made little bigger just on the upper part everything was clean and replace new(bearings,pump,ect)

Cas
    it could be something as simple as too much oil in it. When there's too much oil, the rotating crank will foam the oil and the oil pressure will go down. Hopefully, that's all it is.

Sounds kinda like the pump pickup is too close to the bottom of the pan, but from your post, it sounds like that didn't change.

LakesOnly
    Sam:
    What is your oil pressure at idle and at high rpm ENGINE COLD?
    What is your oil pressure at idle and at high rpm ENGINE HOT?
    What brand oil pan do you have and what is the oil capacity?
    Exactly which brand and model number oil pump do you have?
    Are youR main bearing shells half-grooved?
    When you rebuilt the engine, did you change the brand and/or type of roller lifter used in the engine?
    Have you tried changing the oil filter yet?
    Please answer all these questions.
    Thanks,
    LO

Moneypitt
    Did you add or have apart the lines for a remote filter? If the filter is plumbed backwards at the remote it will do exactly what you are experiencing...........MP

Blown 472
    Stock push rods pumping the valve covers full of oil and slow drain back??

sam1
    Ok It see if I can answer all question
    It has about 60 psi hot and cold it don't charge any.
    the oil pan is stock I just cut the back half and made little deeper.I could not go deeper where the pump is at .It will hit the bottom of the boat.
    The pump is a Melling mel-m8ehvs
    The all bearing are Clevite V series
    The cam I went back to a hyd cam.No more money for a roller.
    I charge the filter when I charge the pump last week
    The oil lines.One come out of the side of the filter block to the outside of the oil filter and then comes out of the center and goes to the cooler and out cooler then it goes in the center for the block on the engine. I hop I didn't loose anybody on that.
    The oil presure drop as soon as you start the motor and gave it the throttle. So I don't think it could be it but that didn't cross my mind
    I thought I had to much oil to but I didn't charge anything on the pan thought would made a differents to the dipstick.Because the dipstick goes down in pump area and it wasn't charge any.
    If the the oil lines are backward it won't have any pressure right??
    I hop i answer all question
    Thank you all for helping me on this problem

Moneypitt
    the the oil lines are backward it won't have any pressure right??
    If they're backward it will have pressure until you rev it up, then it will fall and come back up when you let off. It sounds like the lines are right, but double check it. Did you change filter brands? The little rubber flappers in the filter inlet are there to prevent the filter from draining out when the engine is off and the filter is mounted sideways or upside down. They block off the filter outlet (actually the inlet) if plumbed backward...........MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast