Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual vs electric choke

67weimann
    What type of choke are most you guys running. I have a 67 Weimann 18 jet with a 327. I just picked up a Holley carb that is manual choke. I just rebuilt it and finished putting it all back together and plan on running it next weekend. Just wondering if it is worth it to swap to the electric choke?

rrrr
    You're gonna get all sorts of psycho answers about why you don't need a choke and how you should cut off the choke horn.
    I run an electric choke setup on my '67 Howard, 427 FE w/ 2 730 CFM Holleys. But.....I'm interested in cruising around, it's a resto v-drive. All I care about is if it starts, warms up, runs 75 MPH, and goes back on the trailer.

deltaAce
    I think the electric choke simplifies things. It's too easy to flood the sparkplugs w/manual. I havent seen a manual choke on any factory engine for many years. A manual choke probably works best on a wild cam setup.

SmokinLowriderSS
    well, I guess I'm gonna make rrrr about half-right.
    I don't think you really need one as the manual choke on my 4150 Holley has never been used. Still has the rod clamped in it it came to us with in 1978 to lock it open. Yes, it's a little cold-blooded and requires about 3 minuites of
    mannual hi-idle till she will hold herself, but that's only on the first start of a weekend. Even in the mornings after sitting all night she's just a key-spin from starting, no throttle needed.
    I'd never advise grinding off the choke horn. Just look at the area of it, compared to the smaller area of the venturis below it, and try to convince yourself it is restricting airflow somehow. I can't buy it.
    That said, if you are determined to have one, I'd go elec. The manuals CAN be pretty good at choking too much and fouling/drowning the engine.

67weimann
    I wouldn't grind the horn off but was thinking of disabling it though. I mean, just lock it open and go from there. I don't want to run another cable for the choke. I was thinking of just putting a small cable mounted in the back and leave it open so that if for some odd reason I wanted to choke it I could. I don't plan on using it.
    Who cares if it is a little cold blooded?? :crossx:

v-drive
    People have chokes on boats?....v-drive

SmokinLowriderSS
    People have chokes on boats?....v-drive
    It surprised the hell outta me too.

BADTOON
    No choke - no choke horn a BG carb reworked by Nickerson 2 pumps fires up idles at 600 and ready to go.

Avenger 1975
    No choke, the guy who rebuilt my 750 Holley recommended against it. 2 pumps and it starts, another few pumps in the first 20 seconds and the idle smooths out. I've started it down to 50 degrees last fall with no problems.

bocco
    I dumped my "to big" holley 850 for a 750 this spring. I decided to try hooking up the electric choke. It does start and run nice but now I get the black stuff on the transome. I backed of a little on the choke but I think I'm just going to crank it all the way open.
    If I understand correctly. Every time you start the motor it gets choked even if it's warmed up. Is this correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast