Thread: Restoring Sunk Boat

later
    k Guy's.This maybe jumping ahead of things but need's to be approached.First time I sunk a boat and I need info about restoring the boat.What do I next.

BrendellaJet
    Get it up first. Then take a look at it and see what it needs.
    Id get it dried out, pull the interior including any carpet and let it dry outside of the boat. Look for any problems or discoloration in the fiberglass. Id pull the heads and have a look in the cylinders. clean out the carb. If cylinders look rusty, you may be in for a rebuild, but if its just surface rust you may be okay to run it, depends how bad it is. It will be a lot of work. If you are motivated it can be done quickly, and come out better than before for not a lot of money...Im rambling

LakesOnly
    Never been through it myself (knock on wood), but I imagine they're all a little different. I understand that even if the electrical works now, leaving the current harness in the boat will haunt you down the road. I bet the motor will run again with a disassemlby and thorough cleaning.
    LO

abraman1326
    I'd say go for the complete rebuild. I tried to reuse a motor I had sunk once after a good cleaning, and didn't even make it 1/2 way across the lake before it spun a bearing. Go for the rebuild, and save yourself the headache down the line. Just my .02 though...
    BRA

460rogers
    Don't wait for it to dry out before washing everything.
    That sand gets everywhere.
    It's easier to clean while its still wet.
    Definately tear down and got through the motor.
    That sand gets everywhere.
    Rinse it out good it's already wet you can't hurt anything.

Jim W
    Later,
    I have done a lot of sunk boats. Fresh water only.
    First of all. Are you insured for this? If so, go the full insurance claim route.
    If not.
    What's the detail's about it?
    Fresh water?
    How long down?
    Is it full if sand or mud?
    If the boat went under and was brought up without getting all sand and mud, drain the cylinders, pull the plugs and roll it over by HAND.
    Drain the oil, pull the carb off, if it's a "clean sinking" just tip it upside down to drain the water out, hit it with carb cleaner, upside down, and re-install.
    Starter, alt., dist. either have them re-done, really just opened up and dried out, or do it yourself. All you need to do is open things up and dry the water out.
    Get the thing fired, it's pretty easy.
    Fire it up and let it run for a minute or two and check the oil. If it's a milkshake, drain it again.
    Same deal with the trans. Change it a few times until it's clean oil.
    Think about it, when someone blows a head gasket or the intake corners leak water into the engine, it fills the engine with water. All they do is fix the problem and change the oil. Dont tear down the engine just because some water got into it.
    Unless it's a all out race engine.
    I LOVE doing insurance boat's!!!!!! They pay for my vacation's!!!
    Be good, Jim

460rogers
    The story is that it's been under for over a month now.
    I don't think an oil change is all he needs.
    Just my opinion.