Thread: Reversion question

jbone
    I'm not sure what caused this the other day, but thought it could be a type of reversion. The engine is a crate 502/502 with stock water injected center riser manifolds.
    Cruising down river I hit a pretty shallow sandbar in the jet boat.
    After getting off, I proceeded down river. Within about a 1/4 mile I realized my temp gauge was at 240. I shut it down and began pulling cooling hoses to clear the sand.
    While doing so, I could hear water boiling. I couldn't tell if it was in the manifolds or the engine. Once I got the sand cleared from the intake cooling lines I attempted to fire it up. It wouldn't turn over. I pulled the plugs and while cranking the engine, I cleared out some water from the cyls. I reinstalled the plugs and she fired up okay. I drove the next 2 miles back to the ramp with no problems and the temps were good. There was no water in the oil and everything seems fine. I plan on changing the 50 wt VR1 Valvoline, but is there anything else I should look at?
    What caused the water in the cylinders? and will running at 240 for a 1/4 mile at about 4000 rpm cause serious problems?
    Thanks,
    J

Havasu47
    When you shut down an engine and it is that hot it will pull water from the lake, through the exhaust tips, into the cylinders. Of course the tips would have to be under water for this to happen. Probably what happened to you.

jbone
    That is what I thought, but I wanted to confirm with the gear heads to confirm.
    Thanks,
    J

djunkie
    Probably wouldn't hurt to do a compression test too. Similar thing happened to my buddy with his crate 502/502. Ended up being a blown headgasket.

centerhill condor
    why does this happen sometimes and sometimes not... my pipes stay under the water all the time and the boat runs 180-190' F all the time. I run the boat from 20 to 120'F indicated ambient and haven't had this occur...Is it because on one bank of the engine maybe one cylinder has an intake and exhaust (overlap) condition and the air enters through the intake side instead of the exhaust? or does he have something else going on here? or am I looking for sense in a senseless world.