Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will MIG welding blowout trailer light bulbs

77Woodbridge
    Hey guys I was told that if I don't remove all of the bulbs on my trailer they will blow when I weld up my new bow stop. Is this true?

TJS
    I have done welding on computer controlled cars and non ones as well. I have never removed the bulbs. I did however disconnect the battery on vehicles though when welding.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

DelawareDave
    You won't hurt the bulbs.

77Woodbridge
    Thanks

Big Kahunaa
    last time i was welding on my trailer i didn't have a good ground and every time i started to weld one light would light up

77Woodbridge
    Did any lights burn out though?

77Woodbridge
    I know the obvious would be to be safe and remove the bulbs, but my trailer is ~32 feet long. I'd have to count, but I'm guessing 20 lights - all enclosures sealed with silicone.

victorfb
    disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle completely. it can effect the ECM to were you may have to buy a new one. as for the lights on the trailer itself, ive never heard of that happening unless you have a completed circuit. (battery source). reversing polarity to a circuit that doesnt have its power source shouldnt effect the bulbs. but if you leave the trailer connected to the tow vehicle, the hitch and ball can act as a ground and unless you disconnect the battery it will effect the lights. (via the tow vehicles power supply and circuit).

77Woodbridge
    Ok, thanks guys. I'm going to disconnect the on board batteries and blaze it up.

Bradf
    Yea, take off the ball/hitch and if you're really worried about the bulbs just make sure there are no bulbs between the gun and the ground on the welder...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast