Thread: Paging HotCrusader76

HighRoller
    Ty,
    I've got a carb problem.Mine is a 750 double pumper with 4 corner idle and it has run flawlessly for over a year.All of the sudden half way through the day it won't idle anymore.It blubbers and dies but if I gas on it it goes like normal.I've already checked the needle and seats and reset the floats.They are normal.I also pulled the idle screws and blew them out with wd-40 under pressure.I only use the front idle circuit because that's what I'm used to.The only thing I haven't checked is the powervalve.Would a blown or bad powervalve cause this?I haven't had any coughs,sputters or backfires recently but with the fuels these days you never know about rubber parts.Please helpppp!!!I have a woman coming out next week and the boat must be up and running.

Hotcrusader76
    HighRoller:
    Ty,
    I've got a carb problem.Mine is a 750 double pumper with 4 corner idle and it has run flawlessly for over a year.All of the sudden half way through the day it won't idle anymore.It blubbers and dies but if I gas on it it goes like normal.I've already checked the needle and seats and reset the floats.They are normal.I also pulled the idle screws and blew them out with wd-40 under pressure.I only use the front idle circuit because that's what I'm used to.The only thing I haven't checked is the powervalve.Would a blown or bad powervalve cause this?I haven't had any coughs,sputters or backfires recently but with the fuels these days you never know about rubber parts.Please helpppp!!!I have a woman coming out next week and the boat must be up and running.Give me your power valve number on the primary side and I will send one out to you asap. No charge!

HighRoller
    Dammit,I don't have it out yet.I can actually get one down the street here if you recommend a number for me and tell me if that's what it sounds like.330hp 454,dual plane edelbrock 750 double pumper,MSD ignition,exhaust logs runs 45-4600 rpm max.I'm thinking a 4.5 or 5.5 but what do I know!!!

Hotcrusader76
    HighRoller:
    Dammit,I don't have it out yet.I can actually get one down the street here if you recommend a number for me and tell me if that's what it sounds like.330hp 454,dual plane edelbrock 750 double pumper,MSD ignition,exhaust logs runs 45-4600 rpm max.I'm thinking a 4.5 or 5.5 but what do I know!!!The number is on the side of the pwr valve. Pull it out and check. If its stock most likely its a 6.5. If its not on the side its on the face of the valve at the 12/3/6 O'Clock positions.
    To accurately check what valve you need, measure engine vacuum with a vacuum guage at the baseplate of the carb at idle (~800RPM). Then what ever reading you get Example- 6.0 in/hg then install a 8.5 powervalve.
    Or in your case if your motor makes 4.0 in/hg of vacuum then your stock size 6.5 valve is just fine.
    Since your are going to buy a new one, you might as well do it right and measure that vacuum. If this pwr valve doesn't cure your problem, there might be a vacuum leak somewhere within the baseplate or gasket/s.But more than likely the old pwr valve has just been torn.
    Call me tomorrow if you need to.
    -Ty

HighRoller
    Unfortunately I can't even measure the vacuum because it won't idle.It runs good at regular throttle cruising,just won't idle.I think I'll get a 6.5 and a 5.5 and see what happens.If it still won't run right after I replace it I'll call you.Thanks.