Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460???'s

abraman1326
    I got a 460 from a guy the other night. When I got it home and was inspecting it, I found out that the #3 exhaust port was pretty sludgy. After pulling the valve cover, found a bent push rod, and the lifter had popped out of it's spot. Now, there is no scaring on the cam, am I ok to drop in a new lifter and push rod, and go, or is there some serious work needed? How could this have happend?
    Also, I have a set of D3VE heads, and a set of C8VE heads, which are better? What is the legnth of the pushrods on the C8VE? I also have both a Performer RPM, and Performer 460 intake as well. Which is better? The motor I am putting in has the Edelbrock Intake kit in it to the Performer 460 intake, but when installing this, I'd like to know which is going to be a better performance. This is just a lake rod. No racing, nothing major, just cruising, and some skiing. It hooked to a YJ jet, so you know I am not looking at performance right now. Not till next winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
    BRA

I would do a bearing check [all rods and mains] before installing the engine. The lifters seal the oiling system and with one out of the hole makes for no oil pressure at all. If you don't know the history of the engine and just taking the sellers word for the condition I'd do a complete inspection of the engine. That happen to me once and I caught it in time before the engine went south. The cam should be ok if the lifter looks good and could be re-used. There are several reasons the lifter gets spit out, as you learned a bent pushrod is one, a broken or loose rocker is another. You need to find out why the pushrod bent, maybe a sticking valve or a broken valve spring? As to the heads the only difference between the 2 is the D3s have a 91-95 cc chamber and the C8s thru D0VE-C heads have 75cc chambers. There are minor port differences between the 2 types but not enough to make any difference. Use the Performer RPM manifold, the smaller Performer is too small and would hurt your performance above 4K rpm.

abraman1326
    So I would want to use the D3's b/c they are bigger? I'll use the RPM intake. Thanks for your advice...

So I would want to use the D3's b/c they are bigger? I'll use the RPM intake. Thanks for your advice...
    The chambers are bigger....makes for a lower compression ratio. If you want it to run on 87 oct. gas then use these heads.

abraman1326
    Also, what size pushrods do I need for the C8's?
    BRA

'78 gt boat
    All he speacializes in are 427's and 460's. He can answer all of the questions you have. He built my 460 and it runs like a beast!! :crossx: :crossx:

All he speacializes in are 427's and 460's. He can answer all of the questions you have. He built my 460 and it runs like a beast!! :crossx: :crossx:
    Paul only deals in 429-460 engines. 427s are FEs, a completly different engine family.

LakesOnly
    Also, what size pushrods do I need for the C8's?
    BRAFactory pushrod length for a C8Ve head,when used with all the oem valve train, is 8.55". By the way, D3 and C8 heads each use valve train components that are not interchangable with each other (w/o modifications).
    LO

dmontzsta
    This is EXACTLY why it doesnt pay to buy a used motor.

What you want out of it and how much you have to spend will determine what you do. If you're just looking for a dependable engine to hit the water with, check the bearings and valves, replace/repair any worn or damaged components, put it together and run it. If you want to see how much speed you can get out of what you have, use the C8's, get the valvetrain to use them, re-ring it if the bores and pistons are acceptable, throw the RPM on and match a cam to the combo. Word of caution.... this approach never ends even if you tell yourself you'll stop when you hit XXmph.
    Speed costs money.. how fast can you afford to go?
    Just my .02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast