Thread: Rebuild it or Swap? 455 Olds

gqchris
    Hey Everyone,
    Couple weekends ago I took my Southwind with a 455 Olds out to Elsinore for a "last of the year" run. Ran great, made around 10 passes or so, everything seemed fine.
    Lats run of the morning, on the way back around, noticed the classic milkshake puking out of the breathers. Cylinders started dropping like flys, and we were able to limp it back to the launch ramp on 4.
    After tearing into it, I discovered that one head had dropped a valve seat, and it got stuck between the valve and head, causing it not to close. I noticed the piston got slighly marred up from striking the valve seat ring, I will take some pics in the morning. I assume that once this happened it blew the head gasket, causing milkshake?
    Thsi is the first time I dug into the motor since I bought the boat. I noticed the cylinder walls felt fine. Everything looked recently rebuilt. There was some rust in a couple cylinders, I believe that to be due to a faulty timing cover plate when I acquired it. It did have a water problem then.
    Sorry for the lame terms, not an expert in this field! But appreciate all the help I can get. What would u guys do? I am on a 3k-4k budget to get back on water by spring. Would you rebuild the top end? Would U rebuild the whole engine? Would you swap it out for a 454 or 460? Is there possibly damage to the lower end? I am leaning towards the rebuild since I already have brand new motor mounts, bell housing etc. for the olds, including headers...argh
    Thanks in advance guys! I will follow your leads!
    :rollside:

YeLLowBoaT
    I would say have it pulled apart and mag every thing. See if its even worth rebuilding. While it does not looking the rotating asym was hurt( other then that piston) its still worth checking. If every thing checks new set of pistons rings barrings and some top end work and I would say your good too go. I would also swap out the pistons and get every thing balanced.
    Swaping out too a BBc/f costs. its cheaper to find a boat with the set up you want that needs rebuild Take what you need and throw your 455 in it and sell it then it is to buy/make all the mounts, Exuast, rebuildable core and other stuff you need.

FLEA DIDDY
    I'm with Mr yellow, rebuild it and call it golden, 4 g's will go alllllllloooooooonnng way towards a very good rebuild. sorry for your misfortune.

n8dawg
    I have a set of 455 "K" heads for ya if ya want. Ready to bolt on. And you can also search 455 olds on here, lots of good info.
    Take care, bummer last day for ya!
    nate

malcolm
    I have a set of 455 "K" heads for ya if ya want.
    nate
    Here we go again! :boxed:

gqchris
    Hey Thanks for al the tips guys. It seems the consensus is to rebuild.

gqchris
    I have a set of 455 "K" heads for ya if ya want. Ready to bolt on. And you can also search 455 olds on here, lots of good info.
    Take care, bummer last day for ya!
    nate
    Hey nate, what are the advantages of the K heads. Are they a better quality??
    Chris
    PS: THANks for the words!

boater012
    well sir when are we gonna pull it and go through it?? ill call up cdw and order the parts ahead of time lets get er done son!

victorfb
    had that happen to my motor aswell. though it was in the hands of a friend at the time, he ran it too cool and dropped 3 seats just like yours. brought it home and said it runs like crap. long story short.. i bolted another set of heads on and its been running great for 3 seasons. by the way i originally had the "K" heads, replaced with "G" heads and mildly ported all the obstructions in the runners and gained 300 rpm. take up the offer of the "K" heads and run it. save the 3-4K for when the 455 takes a TOTAL dive.