Thread: Drive lube transom fitting issue

Beer-30
    Anyone have an idea on R&R of this part? Beer-30 developed a leak and the lube bottle was empty at the end of each day. Noticed it kept ending up in the bilge, so I didn't worry too much. No "oil rings" in the water by the outdrive. Drained the oil and the outdrive was still full and lube looked perfect. No metal on the drain plugs.
    Checked the bottle and hose. All was well. Put some oil in the bottle and checked a while later. Saw a drip from the pass-through fitting in the transom assembly. Checked the hose and 90 deg fitting and they were dry. It appears to be from the swivel joint of that bolt-type fitting.
    It appears in the break-down that there is an O-ring at the swivel fitting inside the transom. Funny thing is, that whole pass-through fitting is around $5.00, O-rings and all. I might be able to get away with taking the steering assembly off and just replacing the O-ring. Dunno yet.
    The book says the outdrive has to be off to replace it. It appears that it true, as it is right up near the top behind the gimble assembly.
    Deciding whether to tackle myself or leave it to pros. I'm going to get an estimate next week, since I have already tracked it down. Curious if anyone has had that specifically done, and knows about what it costs.
    Thanks.

Daytona100
    I was able to replace mine without pulling the outdrive.

Beer-30
    I was able to replace mine without pulling the outdrive.
    Looking at the tear-down, it looks like I may be able to just take the steering off (stock bravo), which would give more access to that area. I already pulled the water intake hose off, which helped too. It's dripping from the swivel, so it should just be the O-ring at that spot. As long as I can get to the retaining clip, I shouldn't even need to take the "bolt" out.

Beer-30
    So, it wasn't the o-ring at the swivel. It was the swivel itself, at the hose nipple. The nipple was fractured - probably for quite sometime. The hose was not put back in the bracket that holds it in position, near the center of the transom assembly. The constant slapping around caused it to open the gap wider and wider.
    I ordered all of the pieces; just in case. Good thing I did. As soon as I started to release the swivel joint, the nipple fell off, into my hand. Since I had it torn down that far, I figured I had better replace the o-ring anyway.
    Put it all back together. New hose and all. Refilled the drive and bottle. Washed everything down. Still washing the bilge out, but enough for tonight. I'll double check the fitting to make sure there is still no leak, but it had oil in it for 2 hours, and was still dry.
    People check your drive lube hose after a major service. If someone took it loose from the holder/bracket at the back, you could be fixing a leak later.